OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I'm not completely certain, but I believe that the "curing with blue light" stuff is absolute BS marketing crap. Might work anyway, but that part is, I believe, bogus.

$0.02
Might be. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I remembered someone actually reviewing it, though, and giving it a thumbs-up. I could easily be mistaken in that.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, I've mounted mine up. What a PIA.

I mounted the front off my left MCLarry under the mirror light mount. I then mounted the rear by using a longer bolt through the back of the Hondaline topcase rack, which put it close to center. Then running the wiring was a total pain since I really didn't want to remove the tupperware. I just lifted the rear of the gas tank up a little to push the wires under it. Next time I remove the tupperware, I'll route them properly.

I have the DVR under the rear of the bike, just behind where the saddle comes down. A bit tight, because I also have my fuseblock there. But it will work.

I need to do some testing with it now to see how to best use it. But right now, I'll just let it record as I go!

I'll post some pictures as soon as I take some of my mounting.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hopefully this wil lbe the final update on the mounting.

While reviewing footage last weekend I noticed a decided tilt to the front image. Sure enough, even the industrial-strength double-sided adhesive stuff isn't man enough to support the camera for very long. Plus, mounting as I did directly over the front fender scratched the fender to bejeebers, so I now live with that unless or until I decide to have it repainted.

In the meantime, my trusty Vessel JIS stubby was handy and I had a closer look at the screw that attaches the front edge of the inner cowl to the bottom of the upper cowl. Turns out that it's long enough to go through the L bracket camera mount, and with a bit of bending and twisting of the bracket I now have a nice level mounting that can be adjusted both left/right and up/down. Yay! And as a bonus, the cam does not pick up much of the underside of the upper cowl. I'm calling this a win.

Last edited:

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
In the meantime: does anyone have a recommended / favorite video editing app that can do either side-by-side and / or picture-in-picture overlays? I'd like to be able to show both front and rear images at points in any video I am energetic enough to produce.
Nice write up. THanks for that.
If you have a Mac, Imovie does pip or split screen and its fairly easy to use. If you are using Windows, I believe Movie maker has a plugin for pip.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm not completely certain, but I believe that the "curing with blue light" stuff is absolute BS marketing crap. Might work anyway, but that part is, I believe, bogus.

$0.02
The 'blue light' is just UV light used with UV curing adhesive and it works very well. UV adhesive is a common bonding method for plastics on medical device products and has been around for 20+ years.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Nice write up. THanks for that.
If you have a Mac, Imovie does pip or split screen and its fairly easy to use. If you are using Windows, I believe Movie maker has a plugin for pip.
Thanks for the feedback, and the kind words.

I ended up getting a copy of something I found on the web, that does the job.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a chance to test out this camera set up, on my 4,800 mile ride with my brother on our way to WeSTOC. It worked great, except when I put 128GB chips in it. I had it twice start saying, repeatably; "Video Stopped", and it continued until I pulled the battery. Also, the timing of the video was all goofy too. It would record different times, many just 12 seconds. I'm thinking that the 64GB chips are your best bet. I didn't have any issues with any of them. I just couldn't transfer to a 2TB drive I bought since the Hotel's computer system didn't like me when I tried to copy them. So I kept buying chips. That's when I picked up the two different 128gb chips, thinking they would last longer, not knowing at the time the system didn't seem to like them.

One chip would last most of the day and we had some long days. (Not sure what the math comes out to be.)

We have some great footage from both cameras (Dave was behind me for 99% of the trip, so I have him going up Beartooth Pass and that.).

Once I can go through them I'll either get some posted or links to postings.

So, overall I was happy with them. And I would recommend, if you are on a long trip and want to save the footage to review later, either download the chips everyday to a computer, or have a 64gb chip for each day.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Can you make the mph not show up on the video but keep all the other info there?
Speed and GPS readout (location, heading) are tied together (it calculates speed from the changes in GPS location data) so it's an all-or-nothing for that part - I think. I'll have to dive into the menus on the device and online documentation to verify that for certain.

It will still show channel (camera) number, plus date and time of day and the vehicle signature, even if the GPS is not connected or has not picked up the satellites.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Speed and GPS readout (location, heading) are tied together (it calculates speed from the changes in GPS location data) so it's an all-or-nothing for that part - I think. I'll have to dive into the menus on the device and online documentation to verify that for certain.

It will still show channel (camera) number, plus date and time of day and the vehicle signature, even if the GPS is not connected or has not picked up the satellites.
You can set it so at a certain speed, it doesn't record the speed... ;) None of my videos go about 79mph! :D

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A

And that is why I will never buy one. Like the unit but if something happened the prosecutor's will have a field day with that info.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And that is why I will never buy one. Like the unit nut if something happened the prosecutor's will have a field day with that info.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Well, you're too late anyway, They quit selling that model! They have a new model though: innovv K2

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
And you do not have to connect the GPS... you can also turn off the speed and location over print on the video.

Or, just ride responsibly.....

Top Bottom