Peg Lowering Problems

Bike
st1300 2007 non ABS.
Hi, Just wondering did anyone come across a 'work-around' for the following problem. I purchased a peg lowering kit from Motorcycle Larry, however they were a disaster in so far as they reposition your 2 feet further out, and away from the body of the motorcycle and as a result your feet are no longer in line with the Gear changer and rear brake lever (great if you are pigeon toed maybe but no use in an emergency having to turn your foot inwards first before braking) see pictures. I returned same to MCL and still awaiting a refund. I then bought a pair from Knights in Oregan which were better machined etc. However when the gear change lever is lowered on the splined shaft it states on MCLs instructions that it wont be possible to change into first gear, which defeats the whole modification. Does anyone out there know of any way round this?

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have the MCL lowering units, and did not have to cut the fairing to accommodate the shifter movement. It shifts into first quite easily. I HAVE rubbed them in hard turns, which is a bit disconcerting, but over all, I really like the added space.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I have the MCL on mine for a long time and love them. Yes had to reposition the shifter and brake pedal. I scraped them at the beginning until I learned how to enter and exit a corner. The wife has a lowering kit on her pillion pegs and loves them too!!!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - I had to cut a little slot into the LH lower fairing to accommodate the gearshift. I also noted that that the shifter peg is no longer horizontal, which I thought would bug me - but after about 9000 km (5500 miles), I am used to it and don't notice it anymore at all. The small distance that my feet have been moved outwards from the centreline of the bike is similarly not noticeable and certainly doesn't affect my riding in the least.

The modification to the fairing was done with a hacksaw and a pair of tinsnips. It took about 5 minutes and the modification is invisible from any angle.

Overall, I have found the MCL peg lowering kit to be an excellent product (this is the fixed one - NOT the adjustable unit which apparently is quite flawed because it doesn't fold). I am 58 and was having pretty severe hip pain when bringing my legs up to the stock peg position but these little lowering units cured that instantly. The difference was remarakable.

As as for touching down, yes, I went out to a traffic circle (roundabout in the UK) and went roaring around and I could get the pegs to touch if I really tried - but they do fold (the adjustable models do not fold apparently) and in any event, the speed was higher than I would normally ever use and the comfort makes it well worth that very small limitation. Frankly, while the ST1300 is a great handling bike - there are better choices than this huge, cushy and rather top-heavy 730 lb, 127 HP locomotive for scraping pegs out there, and so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I must also also put in a plug for Shock-Tek motorcycle gloves which have cured a numbness in my palms that was threatening to get me to sell my bike. They are designed by a physician to address carpal tunnel injuries and work great! They aren't even expensive: I got a pair of summer weight mesh-top gloves and a pair of cold weather gauntlets - ALL leather for about $110 US (for BOTH pairs). I have used the, for about three months now and they are standing up very well, look good and remain very comfortable. They are made in Detroit and the company is nice to deal with. Excellent product - highly recommended. (www.shock-Tek.com)

Between the MCL fixed peg lowering kit, the MCL handlebar riser and the Shock Tek gloves, my ST1300 is now just about as perfect for me as any other bike has been - and those earlier ones were ridden 25 or more years ago when I was much more flexible (and less arthritic) than I am now.

Pete

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
however they were a disaster in so far as they reposition your 2 feet further out
:lol I first read that as 2 feet farther out. How much farther out? It looks to be about 1.5". The Knight kit (ha!) doesn't do that at all? More detail would be great once you get them installed. Once the shifter and brake lever are adjusted to be comfortable with new level of the foot peg it would seem just a simple matter of remapping muscle memory. I had floorboards on my '77 GoldWing and they used a heel/toe rocker for the shifter that I couldn't rest my foot on. And I couldn't rest my foot on the new position of the brake pedal either. But it didn't take long to adapt. Then it was second nature.

At least one member didn't change the levers' positions with the MCL pegs.

ruut66 said:
However when the gear change lever is lowered on the splined shaft it states on MCLs instructions that it wont be possible to change into first gear
I did not know that. Was planning on getting the fixed MCL lowering brackets. It's too bad their instructions don't mention an option of cutting the fairing. The Knight kit made no mention?

OP
OP
ruut66
Bike
st1300 2007 non ABS.
Thanks for the feedback. In fact I prefer the machining of the Knight pegs because they are one complete unit, whereas the MCL were only selling the 'knuckle' that dropped the existing pegs, but in doing so pushed them way out. I fitted them, and rode for a mile, but it was far too dangerous in my opinion as after several thousand miles of automatic braking locked into my memory I just thought that if a real emergency came along I didn't want to 'repositioning' at the last minute. Yes the fairing can be cut to accommodate the gear lever....Ideally a extension either welded or bolted to both gear change and rear brake would be preferable. Will let you know what the end result looks like. Cheers,

Top Bottom