Peyrol fumes when warm

I have a -2015 ST1300 which I have ride for about 12000kms. Recently I have started to smell petrol fumes from the area above the tank when the motor is warm. Were shall I start to check for leaks?

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Might not be any leaks. I was getting that and I could hear the gas in the tank bubbling, from my 2010 when I was riding in 95F and above heat. I put a heat barrier between the tank and the air cleaner and now the gas seldom bubbles and I have not had the smell of gas since.

Something like this, but not the adhesive type. Heat Shield

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had this same problem, in fact, it smelled up the whole garage when I pulled in and parked. My wife noticed it RIGHT away. I checked that the charcoal canister hoses were not plugged, and that the hoses were all ok under the throttle bodies, etc. I had narrowed it down to the charcoal canister being bad, from readings on the forum. I decided to wait and let it go, to see if it would eventually clear itself out. It did.

I theorize that I was filling the tank too much , being kinda lazy, and not wanting to stop for gas as much. I now fill it on the sidestand, and JUST uo to the inner tank ring. No more problems. Of course, I DO get the occasional gas smell when it is REALLY hot, even though I did do the insulation under the gas tank. It's normal, and goes away .

Top Bottom