Great MMG brand lithium battery, back in stock

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I installed one of these about two months ago. 3,000 miles later it has proven to be a great battery, so far. My ST1300 has never turned over and started so quickly. The vendor ran out of stock shortly after I obtained mine. But, they are back in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCXIJJG/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1

Imported by ModCycles, it looks just like a Scorpion from the outside, it even has a voltage meter. If any of you are looking for an excellent battery for your ST, here is my new recommendation. I have been a PowerSonic AGM fan for years but I am thinking this one has it beat.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Did you also get a Lithium Ion battery tender for it? I suspect that if you average 1500mi/mo you may have never connected a battery maintainer to it(?)

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have a "Battery Tender JR Lithium Charger" but have never used it as there has been no need. Both this battery and the Scorpion Lithium that is in my Ducati can be charged with a regular old "smart" charger but:

1. It needs to be disconnected after the battery is fully charged; it is not to be used as a maintainer.
2. The charger absolutely cannot have a desulfation mode.

So to avoid any future hassle and/or screw ups, I spent the $25 on Amazon for the Lithium specific charger. I will just keep it on the Duc this winter and use it on the ST whenever necessary.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The reviews on Amazon that I read about the Battery Tender battery put me off.

A plastic spacer, that is included, snaps in to the bottom of the MMG battery and makes it fit the ST1300s battery box perfectly.

Also, the MMG battery appears outwardly identical to a Scorpion "Stinger", a Lithium batterys Scorpion has been selling for several years. My friend and I both have these Scorpions in our Ducatis, and like them. However, they are much more expensive than the MMG.

Last edited:

st1300doug

I just ordered the Mighty Max brand. Should be here Monday-via Amazon. For the $44 & FREE S&H.....hard to beat. And many reviews said they routinely saw 5+ years usage. Good enough for me at that cost level.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I just ordered the Mighty Max brand. Should be here Monday-via Amazon. For the $44 & FREE S&H.....hard to beat. And many reviews said they routinely saw 5+ years usage. Good enough for me at that cost level.
Doug, is that a Lithium Ion battery? I tried searching their website and didn't have any luck finding it. Can you provide the part number or a link to the battery you ordered? What kind of warranty does it have?
Thanx

Byron

STOC #
The reviews on Amazon that I read about the Battery Tender battery put me off.

A plastic spacer, that is included, snaps in to the bottom of the MMG battery and makes it fit the ST1300s battery box perfectly.

Also, the MMG battery appears outwardly identical to a Scorpion "Stinger", a Lithium batterys Scorpion has been selling for several years. My friend and I both have these Scorpions in our Ducatis, and like them. However, they are much more expensive than the MMG.
Do you have any pictures of the adapter mounted to it and then mounted on the bike?

st1300doug

Doug, is that a Lithium Ion battery? I tried searching their website and didn't have any luck finding it. Can you provide the part number or a link to the battery you ordered? What kind of warranty does it have?
Thanx
No- not a lithium-ion. A AGV-Gas sealed unit, the same as a Yuasa. I saw no need in buying a NEW charger for that type. I have a battery tender.....so, as mentioned- if many are getting over SIX years.....I'm good. Hard to beat that $40 & shipped free, with NO TAXES.

st1300doug

DON B here is their photo of it. Spec.'s are right on AMAZON when you enter the key words: Battery-Honda-ST1300

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
DON B here is their photo of it. Spec.'s are right on AMAZON when you enter the key words: Battery-Honda-ST1300
OK, I found it on Amazon, It's model YTZ14S. The photo on the website now shows a blue battery instead of black. I looked on the Mighty Max site and there are two of them shown, the blue one is listed as a "gel" type, for $44.95; the black one is listed as an SLA/AGM type, for $39.95. They have the same CCA and AH ratings, so I guess the only difference between them is gel vs SLA/AGM. I don't recall ever seeing SLA as part of a battery spec, so I'm not familiar with it.

Edit: I think that YTZ14S is the battery type, not model number. My bad ,,,

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Makes perfect sense to me. So I guess the only real differences between the two batteries on the Mighty Max site are color and $5.00.
Gel and AGM are not the same, different charge characteristics. Do not use gel in an SLA/AGM scenario, and vice verse.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Gel and AGM are not the same, different charge characteristics. Do not use gel in an SLA/AGM scenario, and vice verse.
Thanks for your reply. My CRS is acting up again. I had forgotten that the G in AGM is Glass, not Gel. I went to the BatteryStuff.com site for a refresher course. Looks to me like the advantages of the AGM type of battery outweigh whatever advantage there is of the Gel type, and they outsell the latter by about 100:1.

Top Bottom