Forced into a new rear tire.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Spent a very enjoyable day yesterday meeting up with Skulldugger from Vancouver BC. Him riding from BC to our place at 7Bays WA for the night.
Darth:06biker: ran like a champ. Tires were good when left home , 42 psi front and rear. Looked good at mid point, kicked hard, didn't check pressure. Have gotten pretty good at the ol' tire kick check method. Put down another 125 miles going back home.

Looked at the rear tire this morning.........looks flat. Dang! 5psi. Put on center stand........found what looks to be one leg of a staple.
You can see it sitting on the seat in the pics. :mad:
Oh well,. Was planning on a new tire before WeSToc anyway.
_20160805_111033.jpg_20160805_110752.jpg_20160805_110814.jpg PS. Thanks for coming down Skulldugger. Looking forward to the ride to WeSToc.

ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
And THAT is the best reason I know of to install and use a TPMS...
But how does it keep the staples out of the tire....? :)

It is a great reason to get a TPMS. Have been thinking about getting one.......ooppssss.......I mean three. Ouch!

ToddC

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

It is a great reason to get a TPMS. Have been thinking about getting one.......ooppssss.......I mean three. Ouch!

ToddC
You can buy one and move it from bike to bike. Takes only 2 minutes.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

ToddC
I feel your pain on the three! :D If you move it, it will have to 'resync' the caps to the head. Some take a few button pushes to do this.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
If you move it, it will have to 'resync' the caps to the head. Some take a few button pushes to do this.
Not if you move the whole thing... caps, head and all. At least, that's how I think I would do it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I feel your pain on the three! :D If you move it, it will have to 'resync' the caps to the head. Some take a few button pushes to do this.
The FOBO does not have to be resyncd if you remove the sensor and screw it onto another wheel. I move mine from cargo trailer to my p'ul camper occasionally. But if you want to change the happy pressure or alarm thresholds you do. Annoying.

Bike
2007 ST1300
The front tire flips it up and the rear is just there to clean it up. Gotta be a better way.

I have picked up a couple of nails over the years, but my last incident was a construction screw right in the center of the Rear tire.

At least you were ready for a new tire. The couple of times I picked up a nail or screw was with only about 2-3 thousand miles on the tire, which is even more expensive and frustrating.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The FOBO does not have to be resyncd if you remove the sensor and screw it onto another wheel. I move mine from cargo trailer to my p'ul camper occasionally. But if you want to change the happy pressure or alarm thresholds you do. Annoying.

Not if you move the whole thing... caps, head and all. At least, that's how I think I would do it.
I was assuming you would not move the caps which are a bit of a pain if you have them 'locked' with that pesky little locking nut. The Hawkshead will 'resync' with different caps but I believe you have to fiddle with the menu a little bit. And you can also buy 'extra' caps, IIRC. I chose just to buy three complete units (and a spare) since I plan on keeping the bikes until I can't remember how to ride them... :D It's only money and I've never seen an armored car following a hearse ... ;-)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I was assuming you would not move the caps which are a bit of a pain if you have them 'locked' with that pesky little
Ahh... yeah.... didn't think of it that way since on the FOBO the head is your phone, it always moves to the appropriate vehicle. Mine came with 4 of the lock nuts and two of the tools, so I just leave the nuts on the valve stems and move the heads.

Now that the Orange TPMS is a viable option again and they dropped the price on the replacement sensor I may reallocate my units. Leave the Orange on the bike and put both FOBO on the trailers. I wish the Orange sensor mounted up to a trailer wheel. I'd like to see what internal temperature those tires get.

Like you say, it's only money.

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I was assuming you would not move the caps which are a bit of a pain if you have them 'locked' with that pesky little locking nut.
Gotta do that all the time to add air. (KurveyGirl or SlowBoy angle stems). Didn't go with the T-valves.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Spent a very enjoyable day yesterday meeting up with Skulldugger from Vancouver BC. Him riding from BC to our place at 7Bays WA for the night.
Darth:06biker: ran like a champ. Tires were good when left home , 42 psi front and rear. Looked good at mid point, kicked hard, didn't check pressure. Have gotten pretty good at the ol' tire kick check method. Put down another 125 miles going back home.

Looked at the rear tire this morning.........looks flat. Dang! 5psi. Put on center stand........found what looks to be one leg of a staple.
You can see it sitting on the seat in the pics. :mad:
Oh well,. Was planning on a new tire before WeSToc anyway.
_20160805_111033.jpg_20160805_110752.jpg_20160805_110814.jpg PS. Thanks for coming down Skulldugger. Looking forward to the ride to WeSToc.

ToddC
That sucks. At least you're tire was almost worn out.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The front tire flips it up and the rear is just there to clean it up. Gotta be a better way.

I have picked up a couple of nails over the years, but my last incident was a construction screw right in the center of the Rear tire.

At least you were ready for a new tire. The couple of times I picked up a nail or screw was with only about 2-3 thousand miles on the tire, which is even more expensive and frustrating.
Thanks dude. I too was surprised! But 10 k ain't bad!

T

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
That sucks. At least you're tire was almost worn out.
Thanks,. And yes probably the best situation possible! Was not displeased when I looked up the history and mileage I got! One year and 10 k
Not too bad!!!

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks,. And yes probably the best situation possible! Was not displeased when I looked up the history and mileage I got! One year and 10 k
Not too bad!!!

ToddC
Thats not bad. I had to change my first PR4 rear at 8k because of a puncture and my second at 12k for a puncture. Ran the first PR4 front for 20k about 10k with a plug. Hopefully this set will not suffer the same fate.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thats not bad. I had to change my first PR4 rear at 8k because of a puncture and my second at 12k for a puncture. Ran the first PR4 front for 20k about 10k with a plug. Hopefully this set will not suffer the same fate.
I give credit to your high mileage to the fact that you run in the rain and the friction reduction that the rain adds to your high mileage. I have noticed it myself over the last 25 plus years of experience riding in the rain in western WA. The heat of Eastern Washington does reduce mileage on tires in my opinion. I am now researching new local tire help . Two bikes need rear tires. :confused:

Got it figured out!

ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Ahh. The look, feel, smell of a brand new tire........:)

_20160811_085642.jpg. Install today and break it in. Want to thank Westside Motorsports and their new service manager for the great price and instant mounting they did for me. Living an hour away and on a tight "go to town for everything day", they mounted it while I waited. $185 plus mount and disposal came to just under $240.

Now time to do the '05.......... A three year old PR3 with a little over 9500 miles on it.
_20160811_085556.jpg. Might be a little past it's time.......:bow1::biker:.

ToddC

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ahh. The look, feel, smell of a brand new tire........:)
Changer... Tire Changer

$185 plus mount and disposal came to just under $240.
$65 out of pocket. You are only about $20 short of buying the HF unit.

When I added up the amount of money I would spend for mounting up my (only have one) bike tires and the trailer tires. Maybe do my own car tires in the future... A HF tire changer quickly paid for itself.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now that my tire changer (Byron) is moving out of state, I have to get my tire changer set up so me and the boys can use it!

Byron and I have changed out about 27 sets of tires since 2007! All on my bikes, but he has done others at the same time. :D

Top Bottom