National Parks ripoff?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe the subject line is a little harsh and maybe this is not the forum for this but I need to vent a little. 5 of us are on a bit of a ride. Looping through Montana and Idaho. We went over Beartooth Pass and then on to Missoula and Lolo Pass. In between, we cut through the NE corner of Yellowstone. Imagine our surprise when we were charge $25/bike to traverse through. When I queried how much a car with 5 occupants would cost, the answer was $25 for the whole car. Seems a bit much to me. Here in Canada, an annual National Park pass ($68)will get 7 bikes through whereas a US national annual pass ($80) will get only 2. A day pass, in Canada is $9.70/bike. If you are just passing through from one side to the other, there is no cost.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that there should be a user fee to go into the park but it just seems a little much. I guess it would soften it a bit if a person knew that all the money went to the parks system but I have a sneaking suspicion it goes into federal general revenue (in both countries).

From now on, I may reconsider routing when touring in the US unless I want to specifically visit a park and spend some time there.

I love riding in the US and think it is a great country and I think more people should travel in other countries but excessive fees may hinder some from doing so. Too bad. We all could use a little education regarding other countries.

OK, I feel better for venting.

Rod

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Fuel is cheaper here.....doesn't it all even out in the end? There must be some reason why 90% of all Canadians live within 50 miles of the U.S. border :D
Mike

scootac

Will Ride for Food
If I remember right, it costs nothing to ride over Beartooth and Lolo Pass... so maybe just think we threw in for free with your fee through Yellowstone???
If that helps!

Definitely, we could use more education about other countries...or states or counties....and restaurants and bars and.....

And that's why I have a motorcycle!!!
:)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
yeah, it bugs me too because I remember back in the '80s when it was only a few dollars per bike. Then in the mid-90s or so they decided to make the parks more self-sufficient instead of taxpayer funded, and they have been jacking up the rates ever since. At age 62 you can get a lifetime pass for $10 if you're a US citizen, but until then the $80 annual pass is the only other option if you plan on going through a lot of parks during the year.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Imagine our surprise when we were charge $25/bike to traverse through. When I queried how much a car with 5 occupants would cost, the answer was $25 for the whole car.
This changed in the last couple of years.
We (husband and wife) would ride up and let them know we were together and we'd be charged 1 fee for both of us.
I read last year that 1 MC was 1 vehicle and each cost the 'vehicle' rate.

Route around them.

STOC #
I've been visiting the NP's on my bike for many years. Toll roads charge same rate per vehicle/axle. Don't they? But I get your point, feels like Highway Robbery, :) Some parks are free entry, some weekends are free entry into the parks. Maybe you can schedule your rides to coincide with that. It is the high traffic areas that charge the most. I read Yellowstone has more visitors from outside the US than domestic visitors. It is too far & too expensive for most Americans. I am super glad to see the recent waiver of some fees for disabled veterans. IMHO, they paid the fee already. I buy an annual pass every year & still they 'forget' to remind me to renew it. :)

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
If not already, you will all be in this boat someday. US National Park senior Lifetime pass for 62 yo+ seniors is $10 (plus a $10 processing fee). My wife and I use them.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I concede your point that the national parks are expensive. But on the other hand I did not buy my motorcycle to save money I bought my motorcycle to go to new in exciting places just saying.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Hey, I get mad at paying $25 to enter some National Parks just like every other tax paying American. I think our taxes that we pay ought to cover the fees for parks.......since they are supposed to be ours after all.

Do I think they are a rip off? Heck no. They are some of the most beautiful pieces of land anywhere in the world. If you think they cost too much then don't pay to visit them....it's really that simple. For a Canadian to complain about the fees of our National Parks on a motorcycle forum makes about as much sense as me complaining to Canadians that they don't put ice in their soft drinks.......move on. The OP accomplished nothing except to vent, and hopefully feel better about himself in some trivial way.....at the expense of those that read the post and took offense about an out-of-towner griping about our neighborhood. The U.S. isn't perfect but it sure does attract a bunch of people from other countries.

There goes the kinder gentler Bug Dr. idea down the drain......that didn't last long.
Mike

Bike
2010 ST1300
yeah, it bugs me too because I remember back in the '80s when it was only a few dollars per bike. Then in the mid-90s or so they decided to make the parks more self-sufficient instead of taxpayer funded, and they have been jacking up the rates ever since. At age 62 you can get a lifetime pass for $10 if you're a US citizen, but until then the $80 annual pass is the only other option if you plan on going through a lot of parks during the year.
There are a FEW nice benefits of getting older. This is one. You can camp in the Nat Parks for half price, too. Unfortunately, with the Nat Pk Service increasingly building more infrastructure to handle larger crowds (an ongoing discussion) the cost for individual users will inevitably go up. Infrastructure costs money - no way around it. If you want low taxes, move to a rural area where there are few services.

Bike
92 ST1100
:confused: Sorry, why is anybody mad at the OP? Besides the fact that I agree with what he said, I don't think there was anything wrong with how he said it. If you ride up to the park as a couple or a small group, why shouldn't you be charged accordingly rather than full price for each individual? Do they also charge $25 for a tour bus? I'd bet not.

I have an idea.... how about charging $5 per tire? ;)

Bike
92 ST1100
Bug Dr... Don't you ever vent? Nobody ever has to hear you go on a rant? It was just an opinion and I thought he expressed it respectfully. Nobody has to agree with it, and it would even be entirely appropriate to let him know you disagree. But I think being angry with him over it is an over-reaction. The simple fact is, $25 for a family in a car doesn't seem so outrageous, but to some of us, $25 per person could pinch a little.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
All I know is that when I went on a similar path through Yellowstone this year, the ride to go around it to avoid fees would cost me a whole lot more than $25....... But I did have fun with the nice young lady at the booth, as I think it was $15 for a senior citizen...... I qualified, yes? Except when she said I had to be a US citizen to get that rate........ it's all good, I'm sure the money is going to a good cause.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I can't imagine 'just passing through' Yellowstone. I've been in this park 4 times since 1976 and hope to make it again. All 4 were in cage vehicles but I would love to go on a bike. There is no way I could skip not seeing the sights for another time, but then again I'm a flatlander. If I remember correctly aren't these passes good for more than one day? Maybe a return route would ease the pain for drrod.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If you want low taxes, move to a rural area where there are few services.
Not sure if you were responding to me directly on this (given you quoted me) but I live in CA where low taxes isn't even in our vocabulary.

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
this Canada pass site says $136.40 for a family/group annual pass and also says they must be a single vehicle.???

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/tarifs-fees_e.asp?park=1
6 weeks ago, I was leading group of 7 bikes. I showed my annual pass and all 7 bikes were let through (Banff/Jasper NP). Maybe I just got lucky and the attendant didn't know the rules but for as long as I have ridden, an annual pass gets multiple bikes through our park system where required. If you are just passing through and do not stop, it doesn't require a pass (unless on the actual park road system). However, if you do stop and do not have a pass, the fine is hefty if caught.
YMMV

Rod

Last edited:
OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I can't imagine 'just passing through' Yellowstone. I've been in this park 4 times since 1976 and hope to make it again. All 4 were in cage vehicles but I would love to go on a bike. There is no way I could skip not seeing the sights for another time, but then again I'm a flatlander. If I remember correctly aren't these passes good for more than one day? Maybe a return route would ease the pain for drrod.
Over the years, I have spent about 10 days in Yellowstone (4 trips). Gladly paid the entrance fee which, if i remember correctly, was significantly less than $25/per bike or person we paid this time. Something has changed (as was mentioned), It would be interesting to follow the money collected and see, if in fact, that it all went to the park system. I hope it does but somehow I doubt it. It reminds me of how the gasoline tax was supposed to go to the road system.

Just as a point of interest, in 2014 a group of us visited Yosemite. I think they made a mistake but 4 bikes were let in on my annual US national park pass. Probably a mistake on the part of the attendant. I usually buy a US national park pass every year (your welcome Bug Dr) but this year my plans were such that Yellowstone would be the only park I could get to so I didn't. Time constraints did not allow us to spend any time there this year which is unfortunate.

Rod

:plus1:
If not already, you will all be in this boat someday. US National Park senior Lifetime pass for 62 yo+ seniors is $10 (plus a $10 processing fee). My wife and I use them.
Best deal we have found, also gets 50% off camp fees at most Nat Forest campgrounds. :D

Top Bottom