National Parks ripoff?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
According to Wikipedia, "flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity". My simple (not hostile or insulting and containing no profanity) suggestion that drrod should have thought about what he wrote before he posted it apparently rose to the level of "flaming" in Joe's mind because he "zapped" it. Interesting. Let's see if this one gets posted.
Sorry, I don't consult a dictionary when managing the site. I simply choose to look at posts and determine if they appear friendly, funny, genuine or are offensive, in my mind it was, so it was zapped. If you want to discuss this further, you can PM me but there's not much to say... further public discussion WILL be zapped as no one cares.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Three years ago, the wife and I were USA touring and when arriving at the park gates at Mount Rainier, the attendant quoted a price, which I forget, but then asked if we were seniors. We are, so I said yes and, without checking where we were from, issued us each a $10 lifetime pass. I didn't know the rules on this, so went away happy that we had these passes now, but later, in a motel, studying the card, I saw they are only for US citizens. We didn't travel through any more parks on that ride, so I guess I have to thank all you kind American folks for partially subsidizing our visit to Rainier that day!

Upon returning home, I destroyed the cards, figuring I didn't need the hassle of a more alert attendant noticing that we shouldn't have them some day.

Regarding where the money from the fees are spent, I can attest that Rainier's fees certainly aren't spent on road upkeep, as that road through the park was atrocious.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Regarding where the money from the fees are spent, I can attest that Rainier's fees certainly aren't spent on road upkeep, as that road through the park was atrocious.
Coincidentally, just today cnn.com has a story about crumbling infrastructure in the US National Park system: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/opinions/national-park-service-centennial-funding-opinion-brinkley/index.html

The author is mostly coming from an environmentalism viewpoint, but his financial information mirrors what has been discussed here.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
We have been to the Banff Lake Louise Jasper area of Alberta twice in the past 10 years. It is a magnificent area of the world.

Since we were there for more than 7 days each time, it was more economical to buy a 12 or 24 month family pass.

Current rates for this pass are $C136.40. Worth every penny. We were happy to pay!!

As I recall, if you drove from Banff over to British Columbia on the main highway, you paid the full day rate.

https://parkpass.banfflakelouise.com/discoveryPass.php

Bike
'08 ST1300
hey looky here; motorbikes running straight pipes should pay triple the auto rate; quiet hondas should pay half the rate of a car;

Just a little tip; this was true about 3 years ago; not sure about now; If you go to Rocky Mountain National Park; everyone is on the east side at Estes Park, CO. Go on a weekday, Mon thru Thur is your friend; go thru Granby, CO on the west side, west gate; usually there's no one manning the gate and you just cruise right on through; no need to pay.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I recall, if you drove from Banff over to British Columbia on the main highway, you paid the full day rate.
If you are just driving though Jasper or Banff and are not going to stop and use the facilities, you do not have to pay, just tell the attendant your destination and your just passing though.

STOC #
If not already, you will all be in this boat someday. US National Park senior Lifetime pass for 62 yo+ seniors is $10 (plus a $10 processing fee). My wife and I use them.
Actually there is NO fee for a Senior Pass (62 years and over). the card holder and family get free entry into all National Parks, monuments, etc. Plus, Camping is usually about half price. I think the multi-vehicle thing is open to interpretation, but technically if your wife, son, brother, mother is on another bike; they should get in free too. If you walk in together, that's the case.

STOC #
Senior pass is free. I was in Big Bend NP last year, went to ranger station and got one for nothing. Ranger even asked if I had paid the entry fee to get in the park, cuz he was going to refund it.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Actually there is NO fee for a Senior Pass (62 years and over). the card holder and family get free entry into all National Parks, monuments, etc. Plus, Camping is usually about half price. I think the multi-vehicle thing is open to interpretation, but technically if your wife, son, brother, mother is on another bike; they should get in free too. If you walk in together, that's the case.
There is a $10 processing fee when you order the Pass. We couldn't get them at the ranger station so did it on-line....this was around 18 months back. Didn't mean to confuse anyone with the term 'fees'. YES, there are discounts on top of that.
I tend to be a bit verbose so I'm making a conscious effort to cut back. Obviously doesn't help much.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Senior pass is free.
It's nice to get a perk when you're on a fixed income. Two years ago three of us (not family) paid to get into Glacier. We would have all qualified for free admission if that holds for Glacier. I'm going to look into it. It may be worth the online fee just to be sure we have the passes beforehand. None of us thought to ask at the station about passes.

Brian Lamberts

STOC 8845
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Fuel is cheaper here.....doesn't it all even out in the end? There must be some reason why 90% of all Canadians live within 50 miles of the U.S. border :D
Mike
Oh? I thought it was the cheaper beer, liquor, and smokes. Sorry you felt abused by the user fee at the NP. Gotta pay for those wonderful places somehow & user fees help by charging the foreigners whose exposure to US taxes is limited.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Don't know what to tell you John. At Big Bend, when I was there, no charge.
I believe you, Mike. But a single annecdote does not translate to a sweeping generalization claiming a significant Federal policy change. In the absence of further evidence (anyone else get a free pass... anyone?), all STriders 62 and over should be prepared to fork over a ten spot for their Senior Pass. Just say'n...

John

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
First off it is not the senior pass, it is called the "Golden Age Passport". Next month I will have had it for twenty years. When I got mine there was no extra fee, just the $10 bucks. I use it a lot when touring on my '03. In fact , Lassen Volcanic NP is close by and I have a great view of Lassen Peak from my home. One of the nice things about getting old.

Ed

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Oh? I thought it was the cheaper beer, liquor, and smokes. Sorry you felt abused by the user fee at the NP. Gotta pay for those wonderful places somehow & user fees help by charging the foreigners whose exposure to US taxes is limited.
We paid about $2.90 US/UD/gal on the trip. This is an approximate average for premium. That translates to $1.03//liter Cdn so the fuel savings were not significant (today, when I got home, it was $1.13/liter). Now beer....whole different story!!:)

I am almost sorry I started this thread. Yes, I was a little miffed at $25per bike to pass through but I was more put out by the way the bike fees are structured and that is why I posted it on the forum. I guess I should have made that clearer as it appears that I stepped on some toes. Didn't mean to. Like I stated....I do not mind paying user fees (within reason) and have done so many times in the past. Researching before hand (as was so eloquently suggested) would have made no difference to our routing. There is no easier/shorter way around Yellowstone coming from the east.

BTW - another interesting thing I found traversing several of your NP's over the years.....different fees for different parks.
Here is from the Grand Canyon site
"An individual entering by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or non-commercial group: $12.00 per person. ( U.S. Dollars)...."
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=grand+canyon+national+park+entrance+fees

Here is for Glacier
Changes to Glacier National Park Fees
Fee Description Length Covered Current Rate
Entrance- Vehicle Summer 7 day $25
Entrance- Individual Summer 7 day $12
Entrance- Motorcycle Summer 7 day $12 per person

Changes to Glacier National Park Fees
Fee Description Length Covered Current Rate
Entrance- Vehicle Summer 7 day $25
Entrance- Individual Summer 7 day $12
Entrance- Motorcycle Summer 7 day $12 per person

Yosemite
"...Yosemite Entrance Fees
Description Good For: Cost
Individual (on foot, horseback, or bus) 7 Days, Yosemite National Park $15
Motorcycle 7 Days, Yosemite National Park $15 ($20 starting in 2016)..
"

Death Valley
"...Individual Entrance Fee
$10 for 7 Days
This permit allows a single individual traveling on foot, motorcycle, or bicycle to leave and re-enter the park as many times as they wish during the 7-day period from the date of purchase. If the motorcycle or bicycle has more than one rider, each rider is charged the $10 fee.

You may notice that cars and bikes are treated differently in the above. I didn't bother to research all of the NP's.

Anyway, again, sorry to step on delicate toes.

Rod

Top Bottom