Aging rubber seal

Dear fellow st owners, my 2008 pannier rubber seal starting to came apart in our hot and humid year round weather. Any recommend or suggestion, can it be replace, repair or ???

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Re: Ageing rubber seal

Which seal? Where is it located?

Edit: got it, "pannier seal". Somehow read 2008 pan instead of pannier.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Catalog seems to show it as a separate item but is not listed on the bill of material?
It's not a separate part; the two parts called out are the left and right saddlebag covers.

Best thing to do to preserver those gaskets is an annual wipedown with food-grade silicone spray. (Just liquid silicone, not the lubricating stuff you use on car door hinges and the like. You can find the right stuff at a dive shop.)

--Mark

OP
OP
It's not a separate part; the two parts called out are for the left and right saddlebag cover.

Best thing to do to preserver those gaskets is an annual wipedown with food-grade silicone spray. (Just liquid silicone, not the lubricating stuff you use on car door hinges and the like. You can find the right stuff at a dive shop.)

--Mark
They don't sell it as a separate part, comes together with the whole saddlebag cover ($354)... :(

Thanks for your tips, any ideas how to secure back the seal that has been detached ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
They don't sell it as a separate part, comes together with the whole saddlebag cover ($354)... :(
Yeah, that's a drag.

Thanks for your tips, any ideas how to secure back the seal that has been detached ?
I've never removed mine, so I have no idea how it's attached. Based on the picture in the parts catalog, my guess would be that it has an adhesive backing that isn't going to work well once it's been separated. 3M and others make liquid weatherstripping adhesive that you might be able to inject into any detached areas. If the whole seal is out, you'll want to clean the channel where it goes first.

If the seal itself is damaged, some adhesive-backed seal material might be a decent replacement. I don't know what would be available in Singapore, but most of the industrial supply houses in the U.S. have material with an adhesive backing in various shapes sold by length. Something soft like silicone foam seems like the right thing. It wouldn't be a 100% perfect replacement for the factory seal, but it would probably do a good enough job if you made sure the joint where the ends meet is at the bottom of the saddlebag and is sealed up with a little dab of RTV.

If you can post a picture or two of the channel the seal goes in and the condition of everything, I can use that to make better suggestions.

--Mark

OP
OP
Yeah, that's a drag.

I've never removed mine, so I have no idea how it's attached. Based on the picture in the parts catalog, my guess would be that it has an adhesive backing that isn't going to work well once it's been separated. 3M and others make liquid weatherstripping adhesive that you might be able to inject into any detached areas. If the whole seal is out, you'll want to clean the channel where it goes first.

If the seal itself is damaged, some adhesive-backed seal material might be a decent replacement. I don't know what would be available in Singapore, but most of the industrial supply houses in the U.S. have material with an adhesive backing in various shapes sold by length. Something soft like silicone foam seems like the right thing. It wouldn't be a 100% perfect replacement for the factory seal, but it would probably do a good enough job if you made sure the joint where the ends meet is at the bottom of the saddlebag and is sealed up with a little dab of RTV.

If you can post a picture or two of the channel the seal goes in and the condition of everything, I can use that to make better suggestions.

--Mark

Previous owner might did some diy repair by using clear silicone...

Sent from my R7f using Tapatalk

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That seal looks like it's had it.

You might be able to replace it with some bulb seal, which is essentially rubber tubing with a self-adhesive flat side that looks like one of these two styles:

seal1.png seal2.png

You'll want something that's as soft and flexible as what's on the bike and resists water, maybe closed-cell silicone or rubber foam. Make sure the channel is cleaned out down to the plastic before installing anything new. Not sure where to point you for that sort of thing in your part of the world; maybe call a couple of industrial supply houses. If they don't carry it, they can probably point you in the right direction. The dimensions you'll want to measure and have on hand are the width of the channel and the height of the seal so you can select the right stuff.

One more thing: if you install this stuff, there will be a joint where the ends meet. That joint won't be waterproof, so you'll want it at the bottom of the saddlebag, and you may be able to seal it up with a thin coating of silicone adhesive.

Hope that helps.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
No help from me on a replacement but I do recommend keeping the seal lubricated. I smear a light coating of Syl-Glyde silicone grease on with my finger. I leave it on a few minutes and wipe the excess off with a rag or paper towel. I've used it for years on various weather sealing parts like the panniers and door and trunk seals.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Dear fellow st owners, my 2008 pannier rubber seal starting to came apart in our hot and humid year round weather.
Not sure it is just the weather causing the degradation. My 03's look practically new although they have seen hotter and just as humid as yours.

Any damage or sticky substance on the mating grooves?

Wondering where the PO had the bike parked, as it seems the windshield is gone too?

Or maybe he just wasn't very careful trying to close overloaded panniers and pinching the load while closing?

OP
OP
Not sure it is just the weather causing the degradation. My 03's look practically new although they have seen hotter and just as humid as yours.

Any damage or sticky substance on the mating grooves?

Wondering where the PO had the bike parked, as it seems the windshield is gone too?

Or maybe he just wasn't very careful trying to close overloaded panniers and pinching the load while closing?
Yes, agreed. Maybe previous owners has being letting this gal enjoying our bright, hot and humid sun too much.

Hop, luckily there isn't any sticky substance being spotted...

Cheerz !

Last edited:
OP
OP
That seal looks like it's had it.

You might be able to replace it with some bulb seal, which is essentially rubber tubing with a self-adhesive flat side that looks like one of these two styles:

seal1.png seal2.png

You'll want something that's as soft and flexible as what's on the bike and resists water, maybe closed-cell silicone or rubber foam. Make sure the channel is cleaned out down to the plastic before installing anything new. Not sure where to point you for that sort of thing in your part of the world; maybe call a couple of industrial supply houses. If they don't carry it, they can probably point you in the right direction. The dimensions you'll want to measure and have on hand are the width of the channel and the height of the seal so you can select the right stuff.

One more thing: if you install this stuff, there will be a joint where the ends meet. That joint won't be waterproof, so you'll want it at the bottom of the saddlebag, and you may be able to seal it up with a thin coating of silicone adhesive.

Hope that helps.

--Mark
The seal ends at the bottom (center) of the pannier. I'll take some measurement of the seal and update here... Found some one the ebay that come with 3M self adhesive tape.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Previous owner might did some diy repair by using clear silicone...
I did the same on one of mine earlier this year (the left side, IIRC) because the seal strip no longer remained where it belonged on its own. The strip itself was intact so the silicone caulk I laid in the groove is essentially a replacement adhesive. So far so good but it's only been a few months.

blrfl said:
One more thing: if you install this stuff, there will be a joint where the ends meet. That joint won't be waterproof, so you'll want it at the bottom of the saddlebag, and you may be able to seal it up with a thin coating of silicone adhesive

I've seen hard plastic internal tubing "joiners" that have one-way texturing on them, so that you can form a complete loop that will tend to stay together (and minimize the gap between the ends of the tubing) instead of wanting to come apart. The joiner is a couple inches long and j-u-s-t slightly larger than the internal diameter of the tubing it connects; it has ridges around it so the tubing has something to grab onto to keep it in place.

Good luck!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Try mcmastercarr.com and search for bulb seal - lets see if this works: Linky

I suspect that McMaster Carr will ship all over the world, but the shipping cost just might make the whole pannier lid seem affordable. And then there are import taxes and the like. And McM C is not known to be inexpensive.....

Thank you, Mark, I had no idea what that stuff was called.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Only to commercial / industrial accounts- they will not ship outside of the U.S. to private personal accounts.
Many years ago, when I was young and poor, I opened commercial accounts all over town by making up fictitious company names (welll, only one or two) and I used those to buy a lot of the materials I needed wholesale. Of course, in those days, credit was a lot easier to come by - hey, I don't know if they even had credit scores back then. When I needed it, I got a tax number to 'prove' the validity of my company and I happily kept track and paid the state sales tax at the end of the year - after all, I was saving quite a bit on my purchases.

All this is not a suggestion to break the law, but if your money is the same as everyone else's, does McM C really care if you are named ABC, LLC or Juan Doe?

Top Bottom