J&M 2003 CB Issue

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a 2007 ST1300A. It has about 95,000 miles on it. The J&M CB and the Autocom have been installed and operable since about 1,000 miles.

I had to have the bike worked on due to a run in with a deer. The repairs took a lot longer than I thought but when I got the bike back from the dealer there were some things with the audio system that were not exactly right. I got most of those sorted out and things are almost back to normal. By the way there were no frame issues (rear sub frame was replaced) but everything else was damage to the plastic.

Here is the final issue. Turning the CB on, results in "noise" in the earphones. Its as if the CB is generating the noise internally. If you tap the unit, you can "hear" the taps through the headphones. There is a name for that but it escapes me. My question is, what might be the cause.

What I have not done is pul the tupperware to verify how the J&M interface is plugged in.

The system does receive CB radio but the weather radio is not working.

Any thoughts on what might be happening would be appreciated. I'd like to have some ideas of what i might need to look for when I do pull the tupperware of the left front.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Was it possible that the bike sat out in the rain at some time while the dealer had it? If so the radio may have issues due to moisture in it.
If that is not the case, the feedback in the ear speakers could be caused by the feedback adjustment knob may have been changed.
If you pull out the volume control knob and rotate as it is pulled out, the feedback from the mic to the speakers is adjusted. Could that be the issue?
My friends and I have used this CB on several different bikes and more that one has been killed due to moisture in the unit.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Sounds like you just need to turn the squelch [-]off[/-] on. If you have the JMCB-2003 like mine, with the control head mounted to the left handlebar, rotate the control ring at the base of the volume knob CCW until the "rushing noise" stops. HTH

John

Last edited:
Bike
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
Agree with John. Squelch is determines how strong a received signal needs to be before the radio sends it out to the speakers/output. When trying to communicate with another party and no response is heard/received turn the squelch down or off allows all received "noise" to be output to the speaker. If you are traveling with another party with a CB Radio and are maintaining distances which allow for very strong signals the squelch can be turned up to block out/prevent the local radio traffic in normal signal strength/range while allowing your party to continue use with less interruption and being talked over. When Squelch is off, static is a ways heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks guys. I have checked the squelch setting but will re-do that. However I was not aware of the "Feedback" setting that is something I have never set/checked.

As for sitting out in the rain, while it has set out in the rain when I was on the road and stopped for the night, I don't believe the dealer did that. He did have it in an enclosed outside shop area (which is why mice got into the system while it was at the dealer's shop and he had to replace the FI wiring harness).

Will do the checks tonight and let you know.

Again, thanks for the information.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
As for sitting out in the rain, while it has set out in the rain when I was on the road and stopped for the night, I don't believe the dealer did that. He did have it in an enclosed outside shop area (which is why mice got into the system while it was at the dealer's shop and he had to replace the FI wiring harness).
they are built well and have good water resistance yet----you should never leave in the rain or spray them with water. Always put the cover over it when left outside, in rain or washing. Mine was in a frog choker once and took a while to dry out and work normal again---it acted like yours---the dealer may have had it washed and soaked it.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
they are built well and have good water resistance yet----you should never leave in the rain or spray them with water. Always put the cover over it when left outside, in rain or washing. Mine was in a frog choker once and took a while to dry out and work normal again---it acted like yours---the dealer may have had it washed and soaked it.
He may have washed it. The cover remains on when its not in use but that may have been soaked as well. it has been some months so If it is not going to dry out now :)

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
if it has been several months and it has been sitting all this time with moisture there is a problem and needs fixing. This is a fine CB radio/audio and I would not throw it away. I bought mine several years ago from a good radio shop in San Antonio TX that services and sells them. Send your radio to them and they will do a complete check and tune (swing) your radio to maximum performance. Here is there website--good luck http://claysradioshop.com/

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Update

Thanks for all the information. I went out to day, with my earphones, to test. Here is what I found. The feedback control was turned part why up. Good catch St-venture (i don't remember if I even knew it was there). It did remove part of the noise and when it was turned to where it had been, taping on the unit did cause noise (mechanical sounds) in my earphones.

So, that reduced part of it.

I verified the squelch worked, turned it up to get more background noise, then turned it down to silence the audio (it is AM after all). I turned the unit off and the noise went away. So the source is only there when the unit is on. I checked the "AUX" function was off.

Now, what I don't know is if the current noise level which is there is what it always was. I conducted all the above tests in the garage with the bike on ACC. The noise is discernible.

Turning the CB off resulted in a total removal of the noise. So we know its not related to the charging system or another noise. It might just well be that the unit's noise level is something I did not recognize before with the other audio sources on. You know music and road noise.

So, Now it is back to a tolerable level but not as good as I remember it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks.. I think there is one there but... I will check. And that thing is not cheap... They are very proud of that device.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Not sure if you fixed your problem but I had a similar problem with mine , also run thru an autocom unit. Worked great on the st then i bought a new bike and put it on that and I got the noise whenever the cb was on. I tried every connection and plug i could. It ended up being I had both the autocom and the j&m ground on the same connection to the battery ground, I moved the j&m ground to frame and it disappeared. I do not know why but I am happy with the end result.

Top Bottom