Avon grips - anyone use these ones?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Their website sucks. It also looks like you get the p/n and order them from a retailer using the Dealer Finder.

http://www.flandersco.com/DealerSearch.html
I wouldn't disagree with that - I wish I could find another source for them. Years ago you could order those grips from J.C. Whitney of all places. So when I did order, I usually got several pairs since they are not real expensive. The fact that they are 'fat' in the center means they mimic the natural shape of your hands. They also work really well with Symtec grip heaters.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
.... The fact that they are 'fat' in the center means they mimic the natural shape of your hands. ...
That was one of the first changes I made when I bought my ST. Installed "fat in the center" foam grips because the oem grips put too much pressure on the outside of my palms.

On my last long-distance trip, I bought the Cramp-Buster to get some wrist relief. I think that the throttle has a tendency to slide towards idle if you're not gripping hard enough - especially with gloves. Gripping the throttle that little bit harder for hours takes a toll on my wrist. The Cramp-Buster does get in the way, but it also works well to give my wrist a break.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The fact that they are 'fat' in the center means they mimic the natural shape of your hands.
That's what I like about the BMW grips. I remember having a couple pair of grips similar to the Rogjens but without the shark fin. I gave up on them because they felt weird kind of 'scrunchy' and on both pair the cover came off on the throttle side. A huge surprise and not in a fun way. But I like the palm swell and wish the BMW grips had more of it.

I've thought of pulling off the grip-covers and wrapping the grips with bicycle bar tape to create the fat center and then putting the covers back on. I may yet get roundtuit.

On my last long-distance trip, I bought the Cramp-Buster to get some wrist relief.
The Crampbusters are great! I've got the narrow one on the throttle and the wide one on the left (port) side grip. The ability to just rest your hands and wiggle the stiffness out of your hands and fingers provides a lot of relief. I don't think I've felt much if any wrist pain but I've had the busters long enough that I can't remember.

ddemair said:
I think that the throttle has a tendency to slide towards idle if you're not gripping hard enough - especially with gloves.
I have never noticed that tendency! LOL If anything my throttle has had a tendency to slip in the other direction so I have to keep a weather eye on it. Even with gloves the Buster doesn't cramp my style so they've both been a very good investment.

Lately I've been experiencing a little pain on the heel of my throttle hand when typing. (No I'm not typing while riding.) I may invest in a pair of gloves suggested by Uncle Phil that are supposed to protect the nerves (median and palmer?) in the hands. The idea is to prevent/reduce the pain in my right hand and do likewise with the tingling in both hands.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've thought of pulling off the grip-covers and wrapping the grips with bicycle bar tape to create the fat center and then putting the covers back on. I may yet get roundtuit.
BTDT just over two years ago. Write up here.

I am surprised they held for two years, but they are still on the bike. Someone said the tape won't hold, but it has. The left grip is starting to show age from me unconsciously twisting it, but the right still looks good.

Top Bottom