Master cylinder rebuilt this weekend

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
It went very smoothly - and had I wanted to do mine after refurbing my brother-in-laws recently owing to a plugged hole in the master which caused his brakes to self-apply after a few miles. :eek:

I used snap clip pliers before but they didn't fit well into the MC recess. So I bought a small, long and thin needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight. I filed the tips down to fit into the snap clip holes which worked well and for $3(?) the price was good. I cleaned it all in my ultrasonic cleaner, scrubbed and dried. Reassembled and the brakes are a touch firmer - I had no complaints before, but firmer is good I would think.

The clutch master and slave are next on the list, then later on I'll redo the front calipers. Rebuilding these is easier than I thought, and would recommend it if only to get the old goo out of the master cylinders that tends to collect there. Start to finish is about an hour and is well worth it for peace of mind and the kit was only $19 shipped.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST
Right oh. I have found the Jap MC's easy to rebuild, as well as most calipers. Don't mind doing either, but I--usually--try to flush/change the fluid every two years, top down after cleaning the MC.
Just simply a piece of cake with an evacuator. (sp?)

Top Bottom