Portable Air Compressor Recommendations

Bike
2007 ST1300
No, to the contrary, it should be super-easy to find a replacement O-ring for the inside of the threaded fitting that attaches to the valve stem.
I was hoping so, I believe the compressor is OK just leaking at the fitting.
I will probably go the hardware store tomorrow and look for the correct size "O" ring. or do what you suggest. but the O-ring I took out was really in there so good I had to damage it to get it out.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...the O-ring I took out was really in there so good I had to damage it to get it out.
When time comes to install the new O-ring, consider using a water-based lubricant such as K-Y Jelly to facilitate installation of the new O-ring. Coat the O-ring with it, and shove a blob into the threaded connector.

The rationale behind using K-Y Jelly is that because it is water-based, you don't need to worry about it having an adverse effect on the rubber of the O-ring, or on the rubber hose of the pump.

At least, that's what they taught me in sex ed in Grade 8 - "K-Y Jelly doesn't harm rubbers" :biggrin:

Michael

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Some valve stem caps have O-rings in them, probably metal ones.

When screwing onto the valve stem air started to escape and no matter how tight I screwed it on it still leaked a large amount in a short time. So I am assuming the seal is no good or was too far down on the threads to provide an adequate sealing mating surface.
It might be easy to replace the screw-on chuck (which suck anyway) with a quick clamp type. Barb fitting and hose clamp.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I did find another rubber washer but totally destroyed it trying to install it into the female end of the connector. - Not sure what the process is like at the factory- I think this thing is no longer usable but the compressor still works.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I did find another rubber washer but totally destroyed it trying to install it into the female end of the connector. - Not sure what the process is like at the factory- I think this thing is no longer usable but the compressor still works.
Try calling or emailing the manufacturer. They may send you a new washer, or hose.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Or, as I said, replace just the chuck.
I decided to go with another compressor - and bought this one - VIAIR 70P for 38 bucks plus tax. I got it today and I am very pleased. It is compact and heavy duty.
The unit inflated my rear tire from 0 PSI to 44 PSI in 2' 30 seconds. Very impressive.
My other one still works - I am going to contact Stop-N-go and see if I can return it to them for a repair.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I've never used gummy worms or mushroom plugs for tire repair:
This was recommended to me several years ago by a relative who is a farmer - and has to fix lot's of tires:

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/repair-kits

While I have not had to use these on the bike as yet (fingers crossed), I have used it on my car tires many times.
They're easy to use, and they hold up well.
I have one in my car tire for several years now, holding fine. I have even used one to repair a puncture in the Sidewall (which a tire shop refused to do).
I carry one of their Mini-Kits kits on all my vehicles.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I've never used gummy worms or mushroom plugs for tire repair:
This was recommended to me several years ago by a relative who is a farmer - and has to fix lot's of tires:

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/repair-kits

While I have not had to use these on the bike as yet (fingers crossed), I have used it on my car tires many times.
They're easy to use, and they hold up well.
I have one in my car tire for several years now, holding fine. I have even used one to repair a puncture in the Sidewall (which a tire shop refused to do).
I carry one of their Mini-Kits kits on all my vehicles.
I checked out the "How it Works" on their website and I am having trouble seeing the difference from gummy worms. Can you enlighten me?

Bike
2022 BMW R1250RT
Aerostich catalog carries these - Aerostich Mini compressor... very small package - has been on all my bikes for over ten years... works every time.

I have one of these as well and it has saved me twice. I do wish it had a gauge......

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I checked out the "How it Works" on their website and I am having trouble seeing the difference from gummy worms. Can you enlighten me?
No significant difference that I can see. Properly installed gummy worms form a ball on the inside and seal from the inside of the tire as well.
From their FAQ;
How is the Nealey Tire Repair Kit different from discount and parts store kits?
We do not use glue or cement, we use synthetic rubber and cotton cord. We also use a closed eye needle while others use an open eye needle. The repair goes in, goes back out, then releases through the open slot. These repairs leave a loop on the inside of the tire. Our repair places a knot (patch) on the inside casing that is too large to fit back through the hole. OUR REPAIR IS PERMANENT!

How does the repair work?

Thread the strong rubber treated repair cord through the eye of the sturdy inserting needle. Run the inserting tool all the way into the handle. Turn the handle 1 1/2 revolutions and withdraw it until the tip of the tool just clears the face of the tire and cut the tool free. That's it! By turning the tool and pulling the repair back through the hole, we have formed a circular, knot like patch on the inside of the tire, you have both PLUGGED THE HOLE AND PATCHED THE INSIDE. Air pressure tends to make the repair even more snug. On tires driven at high speed the heat causes the repair to melt or "cure" into the puncture and adhere to the casing of the tire.

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have one of these, takes up no space at all, works well.

Interesting, thanks! First I’ve seen this product. Set the target pressure and it stops when it gets there. How long to take a ST1100/1300 rear to 42psi?

Bike
2007 ST1300
Curious, how easy/difficult is it to get the tool into the tire?
Some 'tools' are really difficult unless you're King Kong.
I watched a video in you tube for the Nealey tire repair method and the guy uses hand held electric - low RPM drills and reamers- then when he went to insert the tool he couldn't do it- so he got a drill and a larger drill bit and drilled the tire to make it large enough to put the plug in. didn't look easy at all. He really struggled and he was using power tools. Not sure how this could work on the side of the road in real world situation.:eek:

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Curious, how easy/difficult is it to get the tool into the tire?
Some 'tools' are really difficult unless you're King Kong.
Very easy, they include a reamer that you work into the hole.
Then you put the string plug on the end of the reamer (it's got a hole on it like a big sewing needle), and twist the plug through the hole into the tire and pull half of it back out.
Cut off the excess and you're done.
I have never needed a drill to do this, that guy must have been trying to plug a truck tire, lol.

EDIT: Read post #73 above - a better description than mine.....

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have one of these, takes up no space at all, works well.

And it has the kind of chuck I suggested as a replacement.

Top Bottom