1994 ST1100 alt needs replacing

I JUST BOUGHT A 1994 ST1100. IT HAS A BAD LEAK FROM THE ALTERNATOR. IS THERE ANYONE ON LONG ISLAND WITH EXPERIENCE IN UPGRADING THE ALTERNATOR TO 40A? ALSO I WOULD LIKE THE BIKE REALLY LOOKED OVER AS THE HISTORY OF THIS BIKE IS AWESOME
LARRY

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Welcome aboard. Whether you are looking to do the upgrade to 40A yourself or have a shop do it, the documentation on this forum alone could take you a month of Sundays to read it all. The resources here, in addition to upgrades, cover everything from final drive R&R to coolant hoses and valve shim adjustments.
I bought a 91 with 32k miles on it as the 4th owner. The thing looked like it had come out of a time machine with it being garaged it's whole life. If there isn't documentation of coolant, fuel hoses, timing belt and other scheduled maintenance, you're in for a bit of a pull apart to do it, but it can be done. I did it 3 1/2 years ago at the 45k mark. Replaced a bunch of rubber that was pretty calcified. The engine is interference, so if the timing belt were to break,the valves can collide with the piston. The timing belt has shown a history of being quite hearty, you can get the automotive Gates version for more than half of the cost of OEM, to help save money. I did, and have over 30k miles on that belt.
Whatever you decide, for who does the work, there are plenty of us here that will be helpful to you.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 93 and then the alternator went out on it. I found a used one on ebay, had it in stalled and it does not work. The battery is fine and rectifier is new but it will not go above 11 volts.
So my questions are... Are we missing something since the bike only has 44k miles on it. And what parts am I looking for for a 40 amp upgrade and where can I purchase them in the states?

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
There are a series of tests with your voltmeter whether it's ohms or continuity at your P2 and P3 connector.
This will help point to the component that has failed. My initial guess would be the voltage regulator but a voltmeter will be handy in ruling things out. Do you have an owner's manual?

Top Bottom