Is an upgrade to SENA 10S worth it from an SMH-10?

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
I have an SMH 10. Works well, and I use it every day for commuting year round (except for rainy days....I cage it in the rain :D - thankfully not too many of those it seems!). It's about 5 years old and the charge lasts about half as long as when it was new.

I'm considering saving up and this christmas replacing my unit. Here's the three options I'm thinking of....

1 - Buy a new SMH-10 (module only - bluetooth 3.0+) for a little over $100 it seems on various sites. Plug into my existing hardware on my helmet and go ride.

2 - Buy a 10S (a little over twice the price - bluetooth 4.1+). I think it's compatible with my hardware from everything I've read so I won't have to rewire my helmet, just plug and play

3 - Buy neither, and just ride with my USB cable plugged into my headset and plugged into a power source on my bike and my current SMH-10 will just continually charge while riding.

I'm leaning towards option 3 cause I'm starting to become a cheap dude. But replacing the module for $100 wouldn't break the bank.

As it stands, I basically charge the module midweek and then again on the weekend before a long ride, or before Monday rolls around again. But it's not a BIG deal.

The only person I use it to communicate with is my wife on the back of the bike. But that's rare, so I don't need a range.

I'm just curious if bluetooth 4.1 is worth the upgrade, or if the battery life should be a concern.

Thanks for any ideas.

Alexi

Bike
2010 ST1300
There is another thread on here about replacing the battery. Which would be option 4. I am two years into daily use on mine and am considering changing the battery.

STOC #
I have the 10R. It was for the Bluetooth 4.1 - and the larger speakers that I chose it over the SMH-10.
You can get them on eBay for $199 if you shop for "best offer" deals.

The replacement battery for the SMH-10 is only about $30-$35 on eBay also.

[Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the SMH-10R with the remote battery]

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
just ride with my USB cable plugged into my headset and plugged into a power source on my bike
Do that, did that, done with that, not much fun. Annoying when taking the helmet on and off. I did make it a little easier by using a 10ah small USB power pack in the upper chest pocket of the jacket.

The replacement battery for the SMH-10 is only about $30-$35 on eBay also.
Actually about $7.99 with free shipping. Just ordered one and in 10 to 35 days I should have it in my hand. Linky

option 4. I am two years into daily use on mine and am considering changing the battery.
:plus1:

OP
OP
Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Ok. For 8 bucks it's worth trying a battery swap. Did a battery swap on my iphone 5s. a Sena headset CAN'T be more complicated than that.

Alexi

STOC #
Actually about $7.99 with free shipping. Just ordered one and in 10 to 35 days I should have it in my hand. Linky
I stand corrected... I was thinking you were talking about the SMH-10R and like my 10R, its battery is much larger, external, and easily replaceable.
Also one of the reasons I chose it over the jog-dial types. I've had excellent results with the three that I and my kids use.
You can get them on eBay for less than $200 if you shop the "Make Offer" authorized re-sellers, even though they are not allowed to advertise discounted prices, they will accept them.

View attachment 177666

Top Bottom