2007 90800km 1st fork oil change

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Open heart surgery on the old girl
It has 90800 km and it's first fork oil change. Going real fast, wish I had the oil tonight so it would be done. Started at 530 til 730 and fork removed disassembled, cleaned and ready for oil. I did not remove or replace the seal....... Fingers crossed. I always live on the edge.

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
With that many miles and never been changed......I bet your slider bushings are shot as well. Seals and bushings are cheap....compared to the time t takes to take apart. You should check them.......

ToddC

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Too late all done. Small drive . No problem. My heart stopped twice when I thought I cross threaded the cap

With that many miles and never been changed......I bet your slider bushings are shot as well. Seals and bushings are cheap....compared to the time t takes to take apart. You should check them.......

ToddC
I couldn't imagine doing all that work and not doing the bushings and seals!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Open heart surgery on the old girl
It has 90800 km and it's first fork oil change. Going real fast, wish I had the oil tonight so it would be done. Started at 530 til 730 and fork removed disassembled, cleaned and ready for oil. I did not remove or replace the seal....... Fingers crossed. I always life on the edge.
What was the difficulty scale on this job? Anything to watch out for?
I'm going to do this also fairly soon and will be changing the spring spacer length. My front shocks are very stiff/lazy.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Good to know in case I ever get offered to go flying with you! ;)

My son has the pilots license, I do all the 1st officers job.... almost. We done lots of fling around Edmonton, Rocky Mountain House, near Jasper and Leithbridge. He now fly's medivac out of Lac La Biche. Love my son..

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Does the all balls (what a name lol) come with the bushings?
You can get just seals and dust rings or a whole kit with all 4 bushings and seals. Quite reasonable as apposed to buying at the STealership...
:06biker:

ToddC

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
It's gonna be black....! Buy a complete kit on line....All Balls has one. Guarantee your bushings are shot....

ToddC
111,000 miles on my original bushings. Seals were shot, but bushings still had lot's of teflon left on them. I was kind of surprised, but it is what it is. At first I thought they were worn, but then realized I was looking on the wrong side of the bushing for the teflon hatch marks.

My oil was grey... probably from having water getting leaked in and emulsifying.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
111,000 miles on my original bushings. Seals were shot, but bushings still had lot's of teflon left on them. I was kind of surprised, but it is what it is. At first I thought they were worn, but then realized I was looking on the wrong side of the bushing for the teflon hatch marks.

My oil was grey... probably from having water getting leaked in and emulsifying.
Do you think those bushings will go another 111,000 miles...??

ToddC

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Do you think those bushings will go another 111,000 miles...??ToddC
My question is given the handling characteristics of the ST1100 (heavy, long wheelbase, etc.), would you even notice much difference between new or warn bushings ?

edit: just noticed this was on the ST1300 suspension forum, so I'll throw the same question out for the 1300 as well.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Do you think those bushings will go another 111,000 miles...??

ToddC
We will see. Unless they start leaking I won't change/flush the oil for another 22 months. Will re-inspect the bushings then. So add 40k miles to the number.

I do think one think that helped was early on I removed the OEM springs and put in 1.2 Sonics. Considerably less bounce and movement on the front end. Less movement, less wear.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Well today I took my bike to work. The bikes suspension worked no better or worse than before. So for the ones that want to change their oil just because. ... my advise is leave it be unless you have a leaky seal. The manual says to inspect not replace. It was fun doing but a waste of money.... just because....

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Well today I took my bike to work. The bikes suspension worked no better or worse than before. So for the ones that want to change there oil just because. ... my advise is leave it be unless you have a leaky seal. The manual says to inspect not replace. It was fun doing but a waste of money.... just because....
I agree on no noticeable change, just like an oil change, it doesn't feel any different before/after. The main reason to change it more frequently is USUALLY the fork seals will last longer with cleaner oil, but you seem to be the exception to that rule.

Top Bottom