Goldwing foot pegs sound like the answer

Afternoon all

I've been reading the thread on changing my st1300 pegs for the Goldwing ones and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. I was hoping that there might be someone that might have a pair kicking around that I might buy. I've thought of trying the local shop that converts bikes to trikes but I don't trust them to competently remove the pegs (let alone trust anything motorcycle related... Long story but incompetence doesn't begin to describe then), and I've found the local dealer to be somewhat stand offish.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Neil

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The trike conversion shop will already have removed the GW pegs; there's no way they can screw up the pieces you need. Your OEM ST springs and pins will fit the GW pegs. Take a look at your pegs, and you'll find that you can do the replacement yourself easily.

I've been running the GW pegs for quite some time now. (Long enough that I've just purchased new rubber to replace the ones I'v worn out.) They're a bit lower, a bit wider, and a little longer front to back. You'll need to lower the brake pedal and shifter. The shifter is the most difficult part.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The trike conversion shop will already have removed the GW pegs; there's no way they can screw up the pieces you need. Your OEM ST springs and pins will fit the GW pegs. Take a look at your pegs, and you'll find that you can do the replacement yourself easily.

I've been running the GW pegs for quite some time now. (Long enough that I've just purchased new rubber to replace the ones I'v worn out.) They're a bit lower, a bit wider, and a little longer front to back. You'll need to lower the brake pedal and shifter. The shifter is the most difficult part.
You can replace the rubber? didn't know that. Maybe i wouldn't be on my third set if I would replace the rubber!

Bike
2005 ST1300
So are you telling us we can just order Goldwing foot pegs and they will fit on the ST1300 brackets? That would be cool.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Discovered using Goldwing foot pegs at a STOC event and used them on all three of my ST1300s. Much more comfortable and . . . install is REALLY EASY.

I got all my GL1800 foot pegs from mechanics at Honda dealers. Two sets free, one set I gave the mechanic $10 for a lunch. Worth asking. Quite a few riders buying new GL1800s want the floor boards put on as a part of their new bike purchase. They don't want the old pegs and the mechanics just throw them to the back of their work bench, or a parts box . . . whatever. Again . . . worth asking.

Shuey

Bike
2010 ST1300
Discovered using Goldwing foot pegs at a STOC event and used them on all three of my ST1300s. Much more comfortable and . . . install is REALLY EASY.

I got all my GL1800 foot pegs from mechanics at Honda dealers. Two sets free, one set I gave the mechanic $10 for a lunch. Worth asking. Quite a few riders buying new GL1800s want the floor boards put on as a part of their new bike purchase. They don't want the old pegs and the mechanics just throw them to the back of their work bench, or a parts box . . . whatever. Again . . . worth asking.

Shuey
What is the difference between the GW and OEM foot pegs? Are the GW pegs lower? Do you have clearance issues when leaned way over?

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
If Goldwing pegs are the answer, what's the question? While I've replaced my ST's seat, I don't have a problem with the pegs, and removed the MCL rider lowering brackets the PO had installed. Why would I want GW pegs on my ST? TIA for the enlightenment.

Bike
2005 st1300
I need to borrow a set from a buddy and try these. I am like MajorTom... I dont find anything wrong with the stock pegs and I also removed MCL lowering brackets that the PO had installed. I wouldnt mind a bit of drop but with the lowering brackets, i was wearing the tips of my size 12 shoes from touching in corners. The problem is mostly my problem as i tend to point my toes down a touch and the lowering brackets caused me to point them down even more. I wonder if the wider GW pegs would make me flatten my feet out and get my toes back up, out of the way

STOC #
My original ST1100 pegs were heavily worn and in need of replacement (ex-police bike).
Were I on a tighter budget, I would have just replaced the rubber pads, but I liked the idea of a little thicker (front-to-back) pad.
I do find myself moving my foot back occasionally and riding with the ball of the foot on the peg, instead of the instep - just to change-up my position on longer rides.
I'm not the "Floor-board" type, they just don't make sense to me, but I do like a little larger target for my foot in my older years.
I didn't care if they were lower or higher... in fact, I never even noticed.
That's all.

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
If Goldwing pegs are the answer, what's the question? While I've replaced my ST's seat, I don't have a problem with the pegs, and removed the MCL rider lowering brackets the PO had installed. Why would I want GW pegs on my ST? TIA for the enlightenment.
They're a bit lower, a bit wider, and a little longer front to back. The OEM are OK, but the GW pegs are just a bit more comfortable, in my (and many other's) opinion.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just put a set on my 1300. The change is subtle and may not be worthwhile to some riders. They're a direct swap with the ST's foot pegs with no additional parts or modding.

Remove the cotter key and washer.
Pull the pin. (Not that kind of pin!)
Remove the peg and spring.
Reassemble in reverse order with GW peg.

With the bike on the center stand I measured a 1" drop (13.5 > 12.5") from the top of the peg to ground. Changing the right peg first (not that it matters) I sat on the bike and felt the drop. With both pegs changed out the difference wasn't as noticeable.

With the ST pegs my toes tended to point down causing some pain on my lower shins and ankles after some time on the bike. If I put the balls of my feet on the pegs it stopped but I'd feel a cramp in my hips and have to stretch my legs by standing up for a few seconds. Not always possible or advisable. I felt like a parrot on a perch except that it's natural for parrots.

The extra surface area helps keep my feet level without always having to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. The lower height will help stave off the cramping in my hips. The Highway Blades will allow a stretch of more than a few seconds.

The change would best be noted/appreciated after putting some miles on them and swapping back to the ST pegs. I'm not going to the bother. These are a nice fit.

Potential downsides: While upshifts are easier you have to lift your toe a little higher for downshifts but it was easy to adapt. Absolute ground clearance is lessened but how it affects riders will vary with the suspension and riding style of individual riders. Big feet of the unwary may get the toe catching on the road when heeled over.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Potential downsides: While upshifts are easier you have to lift your toe a little higher for downshifts but it was easy to adapt. Absolute ground clearance is lessened but how it affects riders will vary with the suspension and riding style of individual riders. Big feet of the unwary may get the toe catching on the road when heeled over.
The shift lever can be lowered. The adjustment is on the right side of the bike. It's a little bit of a chore to get large hands into it, but worth the effort in my opinion. As I recall, the brake lever was quite easy to lower.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The shift lever can be lowered. The adjustment is on the right side of the bike. It's a little bit of a chore to get large hands into it, but worth the effort in my opinion. As I recall, the brake lever was quite easy to lower.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. It took me 'till now to get the pegs swapped. No telling when I'll get round to adjusting the levers. Adapting may be the path of least resistance!

Afternoon all

I've been reading the thread on changing my st1300 pegs for the Goldwing ones and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. I was hoping that there might be someone that might have a pair kicking around that I might buy. I've thought of trying the local shop that converts bikes to trikes but I don't trust them to competently remove the pegs (let alone trust anything motorcycle related... Long story but incompetence doesn't begin to describe then), and I've found the local dealer to be somewhat stand offish.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Neil
I am not familiar with this upgrade but found these after a quick Kijiji search. They look very similar to the stock ST1300 pegs? Would they work?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/belleville/original-brake-lever-and-drivers-footpegs/1212465336?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

thekaz

haz gone feral
I bought some cheap eBay ones just to test my theory. I was pretty shocked that the difference it made in my knees as they only change my knee angle a few degrees. I do need new rubber though and I can't lean it over as far without dragging a peg...

Top Bottom