After Elvis first ride

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was asked for a first impression report on my new Goldwing after coming off my ST1300 (Elvis) ride. These are initial observations after 150 miles. The first couple of rides are when a new bike really feels different and before the rider becomes accustomed to the newness. Here we go...

1. The Goldwing engine has torque for sure. Not nearly as much shifting is required compared to the ST1300 when just tooling around town at low speeds. Kind of reminds me of riding my VTX1800F3 Vtwin in the torque feel.

2. The Goldwing is actually louder than the ST1300 when running. The engine is louder on the road and the exhaust has a louder note.

3. The radio sounds and picks up well. I listened to the speakers around town up to about 45mph. I went to helmet speakers at highway speeds.

4. The heated grips and seat work fine.

5. I really like the high gear indicator light

6. The self cancelling turn signals are nice to have and will probably keep the cussing down.

7. Storage is abundant. I already know the top box will be used the most.

8. The adjustable windshield is a nice feature and will keep me from having to buy an aftermarket unit, especially if I had bought the F6B instead.

9. The best farkle is the cruise control.

10. The driveline is much more noisy, and the transmission is more clunky when shifting compared to the ST1300

11. Not unexpected is the loss of maneuverability compared to the ST1300. The GW is a lot lower of course and has no sport bike feel to it.

12. I have a 34" inseam. The seating position for me is too far forward. I bought the floorboards, heel/toe shifter kits. I am far enough forward that using my heel to shift is further back than feels natural or to my liking. My plan is to modify the seat a this winter to give myself a couple of inches more to slide back a little. One can choose the F6B to get a little more space rearwards automatically. I still like my choice better for other reasons.

13. Here is a biggy I did not expect! The sense of speed when riding is a BIG difference. Those of you who ride the ST1300 already know how much it likes to go. Sometimes I would look down and find myself going much faster than I expected when riding the ST1300. The sense of speed feel on the Goldwing is much higher to me. 60mph feels like 60 mph.

14. The linked brakes feel similar and function as the ST1300. Stopping is no problem. I think ABS should be on all of the GW's, however this one does not have it.

15. The built-in TPMS works like a car where you don't see the pressure, but you get a warning light if the pressure gets low.

16. I put the rear suspension on setting 10 out of 26. I don't know enough yet to say if that is a good place to be.

17. The front suspension seems a little soft to me, but not uncomfortable.

18. I already know that the GW is not as hot when riding as the ST1300. I didn't get the normal testicular roasting I expect when riding the ST1300!

19. The center storage cover in front of the driver has no hinge and will probably get replaced with the drop in Kuryakyn cup holder thingy.

I will add more later as I ride. These were just initial things I thought about when riding my new GW for the first 150 miles.

STOC #
Your observations are interesting. I recently spent a full day on an F6B (270 miles) and compared it to my PC800 and ST1100P.
I have not purchased one yet, but it is in my future for sure. If I were riding two-up I would probably find the full-wing more to my liking, but that is just not going to be, and in the meantime the F6B has caught my eye.

If I may comment on a few of your findings:

1. Torque. Yeah, those extra two cylinders make a big difference throughout the RPM band, but especially on the lower end.
2. Exhaust note. I didn't notice the F6B being very loud at all, and I would have expected it to have more "roar" than the full wing just in design concept (even though the two bikes exhausts are identical).
3. Factory Radio. I never even turned the dash radio on during my F6B ride... wish I had. But I totally agree on your "helmet speakers at speed" idea.
4. Heated Grips. I had never experienced heated grips before. I turned them on briefly and thought, "That would be nice one of these cold mornings." Having said that, I have no desire whatsoever for a heated seat. Don't even like them in cars.
6. Self cancelling turn signals should be required by law. Never understood why this technology hasn't found its way to every bike. Even had it on my 1996 PC800 and loved it. 20 years later and it's still not standard. Ugh.
8. Adjustable Windscreen. The F6B I rode had a Madstad aftermarket windshield. It was nice, perfect in fact, but I didn't really like all the adjustable braketry. I intend to find the proper single piece shield that creates the correct "bubble" for me to ride in... and be done with it. Stock F6B windshield is out of the question.
9. Cruise Control. I'm glad to hear you say this. It is one of the determining factors on whether I buy a new model or a used bike. The 2013 that I rode had a Throttlemeister, but it's just not as effective as a true cruise control. I see the cruise control as a necessary item for me... to prevent me from getting tickets.
11. Sport bike feel. The F6B still had some sport feel to it... even though it's just a de-trunked, weight-reduced Gold Wing.
13. Sense of Speed. See also: Cruise Control, above. Climbing out of my three-cylinder smart car and onto a six-cylinder motorcycle, everything feels fast.
15. TPMS. I've used the Fobo units on my PC800 and really liked them. Not sure that a factory TPMS is necessary to me, and I like being told the PSI and Temp of each tire on the Fobo.
18. Testicular BBQ. See also: No desire for heated seats, above.
19. Center Storage not hinged. Yeah... what's with that? I know that this compartment is where the Air-Bag goes when equipped, but not hinging that cover just makes no sense. I too expect the cup holder thingy will meet my needs. Or this again.

Thanx for your insight.
I look forward to hearing more about your bike.

Jim

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Bump the suspension up to 25 and try it for a while. There is a good write up on GL1800Riders about how the suspension works.
The shifting will probably get smoother with an oil change or two.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
milkmaster said:
2. The Goldwing is actually louder than the ST1300 when running. The engine is louder on the road and the exhaust has a louder note.
I've noticed this when I ride with my buddy (2005 GW). It's fairly quiet under light throttle but when wicked up it has a louder growl then my ST under hard acceleration. His Wing with factory exhausts has always been louder than my other Hondas (VF1000 and VF1100S).

milkmaster said:
5. I really like the high gear indicator light
I like the idea of a digital gear indicator but I could be immensely happy with a HGIL.

milkmaster said:
6. The self cancelling turn signals are nice to have and will probably keep the cussing down.
Yes! I had them on my V65 (along with a DGI!) and really miss them.

milkmaster said:
11. Not unexpected is the loss of maneuverability compared to the ST1300.
While bigger and heavier and less maneuverable a rider can still move right smartly without having to throw it around.

He does a lot of commuting on the bike that keeps it more or less straight up and down so the tire can get a little flat down the center. But on our long rides the 'chicken strips' disappear completely and without a struggle.

After some time in the saddle the loss of maneuverability may seem far less noticeable than now except for getting out of a parking stall.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Congrats on the new ride, it sure looked nice in the photos on your other post. Interested to read your thoughts on your initial few miles above. I recently added a 2004 Wing to my stable with only 26K miles. I have some similar findings to you, plenty of torque and far fewer changes make it a relaxing bike to ride. I find the changes are smoother on the Wing than my ST though and i don't notice that it's noisier when i give it some throttle. Yours may well change after some more miles and an oil change or two. Self cancelling turn signals work great and reduced my cuss word output for a normal ride when compared to the ST (like your experience). I think it handles extremely well for a big bike and I find i am more confident on it than i am on the ST.

Time will tell for me which one of the two i favor more but at the moment I'm trying to get more saddle time on the wing than the ST. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" isn't complaining much about that choice either.

Top Bottom