Rigging up to tow a little cargo trailer next year.....

Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
Hey gents! So the in-laws had this little guy laying around in the back yard. Upon further inspection I found it still had the info plate on it. She's 36yrs old and in need of a little TLC....but can't beat it for the price!! Mom-in-law said "come get it...and get it outa my yard!!!!". So we hooked her up to my Toyota Tacoma and dragged her home. ALL THE LIGHTS WORKED!! LOL. So far I've sanded her down...and applied 2 coats of primer and a coat of blue (doesn't exactly match the bike but I'm not too concerned w/ that), put new wheels and tires on her, rhino lined the front so any rocks that get thrown up at it won't damage my high dollar (rattle can) paint job. I've started swapping out the bulbs to LED to put less of a strain on the bike's electrical system. I still need to finish up putting it back together after the paint job, but she's getting there. That said...I'm leaning heavily towards a Denray hitch. Also....(and here's the "hard" part for me)...I'm leaning towards THIS harness...part number 7676.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1744/trailer-wiring-harnesses

What say you guys? Am I headed down the right path? Please advise! Here's a few pics...work in progress!! Thanks gentlemen!

Trailerbefore.jpg

Trailerafter1.jpg

Trailerafter2.jpg

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Nice find. That harness should work fine. I have used a common 5 to 4 converter for years on 4 Honda's with no issue. All with led lights.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
IkeNTexas
Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
so....is the ST 5 wire? I honestly haven't even opened up a schematic yet....(mainly because I don't HAVE one yet).....

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I'll give you twice what you paid for it, no questions asked! Congrats. Looks like a great find to me!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sweet looking little trailer. Oops! Did I say little? Your first picture makes it look larger than the bike.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I would replace the wheel bearings if you have not already. And add a spare tire mount.
Looks pretty good to me. And you sure can't beat the price.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Hey gents! So the in-laws had this little guy laying around in the back yard. Upon further inspection I found it still had the info plate on it. She's 36yrs old and in need of a little TLC....but can't beat it for the price!! Mom-in-law said "come get it...and get it outa my yard!!!!". So we hooked her up to my Toyota Tacoma and dragged her home. ALL THE LIGHTS WORKED!! LOL. So far I've sanded her down...and applied 2 coats of primer and a coat of blue (doesn't exactly match the bike but I'm not too concerned w/ that), put new wheels and tires on her, rhino lined the front so any rocks that get thrown up at it won't damage my high dollar (rattle can) paint job. I've started swapping out the bulbs to LED to put less of a strain on the bike's electrical system. I still need to finish up putting it back together after the paint job, but she's getting there. That said...I'm leaning heavily towards a Denray hitch. Also....(and here's the "hard" part for me)...I'm leaning towards THIS harness...part number 7676.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1744/trailer-wiring-harnesses

What say you guys? Am I headed down the right path? Please advise! Here's a few pics...work in progress!! Thanks gentlemen!

Trailerbefore.jpg

Trailerafter1.jpg

Trailerafter2.jpg
I have a custom hitch that took off my st1300 in May after I totaled bike /deer strike. I ride a ktm now so it won't fit my bike.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Nice looking trailer... probably built very well! Like the integral rear lights, built in kick stand and recessed wheel design.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
so....is the ST 5 wire? I honestly haven't even opened up a schematic yet....(mainly because I don't HAVE one yet).....
Yes the ST is a 5 wire setup. Both the trailers I built are 4 wire and use a converter. You should not need a schematic to know if either is 5 or 4 wire. If you have separate directional as we do on the ST you are 5 wire, if the break light is used as a directional then its a 4 wire. Looking at the back of that trailer it would make me think its a 5 wire set up, being as it looks to have the yellow directionals.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Almost all, if not all, non-USA vehicles are 5 wire by design... including motorcycles. And some US motorcycles, if not all, are also 5 wire. Anything with separate turn signals from brake and running lights in back are 5 wire. That trailer looks like a 5 wire also so any harness that provides a 5 wire plug to the trailer will work fine. Important thing to isolate from the factory light wires so as not to impose any issues that may develop on the added harness (see the sticky thread in this Trailers forum). That kit you linked to should work fine. 5 to 4 converter not needed. Nice "little" trailer. If I was still towing something now it would likely be something like that.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nice find. Great price and you're keeping the family happy! ;)

Definitely pull the bearings and check them. The bearings may be good but the grease won't be.

Looks like it is a 5 wire trailer. For the slickest set-up use the attached wiring diagram and you can set the trailer up to be pulled by either a 5 wire bike or a 4 wire car. Only a few diodes and some slight re-wiring needed.

Ohh.., for the spare. It is common practice to carry a spare when towing a trailer with a car. You could easily get a flat and not know it till the tire is ruined and un-patchable. But for towing with a bike, carry a patch kit and leave the weight of the spare at home. If you get a puncture while towing with the bike, you'll know it.

4&5 wire trailer.jpg

OP
OP
IkeNTexas
Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
Thanks for all of the info fellas! I've finished it up paint-wise. I DO actually have plans to replace the bearings and add a spare. :)

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
Thanks for all of the info fellas! I've finished it up paint-wise. I DO actually have plans to replace the bearings and add a spare. :)
How did you attach the trailer to your bike? I know this is a very old post, but any pictures or info would be great. Thanks. Tim

Top Bottom