ST1100 Tank Bags

Bike
1999 ST1100
Ok, have owned two ST1100 what suitable tank bag?...I have recently upgraded to a 51ltr Givi Top Box, love the system and the quality, would love to fit the Givi Lock Tank Bag..3D 604
This where we ST1100 owners run into a problem, it's secured to the tank via a fuel cap locking ring which uses the bolts securing the refilling cap....we don't have that set up as the refuelling cap is under that damm flap affair......
I admit I haven't had the securing locking ring, bolts and bag in my hand to figure if I actually could bolt this to the fibreglass cover "fuel tank"...tank is firm and flat enough...drill four holes into the cover....support it with a medium/firm rubber gasket between the ring and the "tank", bolt the securing ring to the tank ........then bag would attach as it would on a normal bike?
Anyone ever done this? Anyone see any problems with attachng this securing ring to the "tank" cover?

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Looks like as long as the mounting ring does not interfere with the gas door on the faux cover, you should be good to go... Might want to visit a retail location and ask if you can physically take the tank bag out to the bike and see if the mounting location will work.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I've never resolved the frustrating issue of strap-on tank bags. There are suppose to be ones that don't slide but I have yet to find one. The Givi lock tank bag always looked like a good solution. I probably should have spent the money on one and saved myself the headache over the years! At one time I used the biggest tank bag money could buy. The last few years I've gone with a small one. It is really all I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I was thinking of attaching metal plates (lightweight) under the tank cover and then use a magnetic tank bag to avoid the strap hassle. I haven't done it yet, but it was an idea.

Bike
VStrom 650
Buddha,
Have you thought of the Baglux cover and bag.
If you have and discounted I would definitely reinforce the plastic with about 3 mm stainless plate on the underside before using the filler ring system.

Upt'North.

Bike
ST1100
I have used a Baglux when touring Europe and it's ok., the fixing straps are less than ideal though. The Givi version would be neater I think so a little bit of tinkering to fit a locking ring should be worthwhile, as Up't North suggested a 3mm backing plate for reinforcement is probably advisable.Keep us informed on the progress if you go ahead.

Outlaws

Outlawarrior
Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Have had this large GIVI with straps for years.

Lots of room, I lean forward on it for low profile riding.

givi.jpg

Bike
VStrom 650
Mcthoroughgood, yes your solution seems to be a top job.
No drilling or messing with cover and when bag is removed the tank reverts to stock.
I see these magnets have a serious pull, is much of it lost through the plastic?
Size of magnets and type/size of bag would be good info for all.
Although I think the force required to keep it in place would be relatively low, my own Baglux never moves when in use, it's a fairly sheltered place on the Pan. The only pain with the Baglux is having to remove it fuel of course.
Once again you have my reward for inventor of the day.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Buddha
Bike
1999 ST1100
Hey, thanks guys and I have taken all advice onboard...especially the stainless steel reinforcing inside the cover tank...good idea.
i did look at those strap tank bags, but....mmmmmm....straps, hooks etc just didn't appeal, that's why I thought of the locking ring.
Just might buy a spare cover from the wreckers, some stainless steel plate and have a play....mmmmm...I'll get back with the results.
Once again thanks for the helpful advice.....B

Bike
Vstrom 650
I thought of doing this as the OP suggested a few years ago, think I'm going to go ahead and give it a try, the ST602 bag seems ideal on the Pan, just need to securely attach the tank ring, I might buy another tank cover from ebay for the project and keep my own one as is, they are easy enough to buy.
I see someone in China has got the idea too, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/132196070552

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
If you are going to mount metal on the bottom of the false tank for a magnetic mount bag, BE SURE TO TEST ITS MAGNETIC PROPERTIES FIRST! Some stainless steel is non magnetic.

Magnets salvaged from old hard drives are excellent for installation on the bottom of the tank cover. JB Weld or RTV will hold them in place.

Top Bottom