Weird things after an injury

Bike
R1200rt
A window tore up my right hand/wrist back in my teens. 6 weeks in cast that reeve the stress on a tendon they repaired, so I understand some of your "issues." All the trauma caused a dead spot on the back of my hand. After about 20 years it finally repaired itself. Which was interesting, because I thought nerve cells didn't regenerate. That's good news for my brain.

Best of luck with your recovery!
It takes a while to reboot those older systems. Good speed.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thank you all for kind wishes and good advice! My healing continues to go well and I just wanted to take a minute to post something about the lighter side of recovery! Hopefully therapy will continue to conquer what remains of my issues! Everyday I make improvements and this past week I have started sleeping OK, so that and the pain settling down have made me feel like my old crazy self again! Now I just need some warm weather and a replacement bike and all will be well again!
Glad to hear that you're improving and considering another bike. Maybe you can get one in time to attend a few events this Summer and Fall.

Bike
ST 1300 A4
The body does slowly recover, one way or another, or at least enough to get by.

I took the ST out for the first time in nearly 2 years today and have aches and pains that I hoped would not be as bad as I feared - they were!

I took a year out from riding, after being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, as I didn't want to aggravate it with bike vibes. Then a year ago came a fall - just a simple missed footing on a pavement edge and down I went tearing off tendons from my right shoulder / arm. Off came the long head biceps (still off), off came the Subscapularis (still off) & off came the Supraspinatus - which has been re-attached with two bone anchors with 6 sutures woven into the tendon and pulled tight and knotted. I now am able to move my arm, but a year of muscle wastage has to be built up - I'm told it could take a year to recover!!!

The fall also injured my knees,wrists and back. The knees and wrists seem OK but my back was in bits after today's ride. The UK roads are in a bad state!

When I think of all that damage caused when just walking, having an off seems extra scary now!

To top all that, the ST indicators & hazards have decided not to work along with the clutch switch, so to start it, it has to be out of gear and the side stand up! I'll investigate that tomorrow!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Since the second accident I have incredibly strong and painful cramps in my right calf every few days. I never suffered from cramps before the broken foot. They always happen in the middle of the night so generously waking me up.
Andrew - Have you ever had that leg checked for a blood clot? I've got one in my left leg(within the last 30 days) and that leg will cramp like mad whenever I do any activity right in the calf (clot is behind the knee cap). I'll have to have a bypass done to fix mine. You might get it checked out just in case.

I think you're on to something there Uncle Phil.

I came down with DVT's (clots) behind the knees a couple years ago. Prior to being diagnosed I used to get waken up at night with painful cramps in my calves. But since I've been on blood thinners I've pretty much stopped having cramps. I can't remember the last time.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think you're on to something there Uncle Phil.

I came down with DVT's (clots) behind the knees a couple years ago. Prior to being diagnosed I used to get waken up at night with painful cramps in my calves. But since I've been on blood thinners I've pretty much stopped having cramps. I can't remember the last time.
I had a clot in an artery (a little different animal) that I had surgery for 2/24/2017 but it causes the same affect. With arterial clots they can't use clot busters like with a vein as the pieces would just go further down the extremities and block somewhere else. So now I have this nice long scar on my left leg where they had to open the leg up, move/cut muscles, open the artery up and clean it out. (I asked couldn't they just use a little Draino instead. ;-)) I'll be on blood thinners too probably the rest of my life because the artery was so damaged. I'm swapping from warfarin to Xarelto for 90 days or so and then hopefully to generic Plavix after that. That's why they call these the 'golden years' - it takes so much gold just to pay for all the repairs! This getting old is getting to be a rough business. :D

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
How's the recovery going Jethro?

Top Bottom