Selfseal Tires

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I just read that Michelin has come out with a self-sealing tire. I comes standard on the Chevy Bolt as a way to save space by not having a spare tire.

The self-sealing technique appears very similar to the Ride-On system. The difference is that the Michelin tire comes with the sealant already built-in.

Since a flat tire on a motorcycle (I've had 2 so far on my ST1300) is much more inconvenient than a flat tire on a car, I'd be very interested in this technology. However, looking at Michelin's website, I can't even find a self-sealing car tire. I suspect they may be manufacturing them for installation on new vehicles only, but I'd be interested if there's any more information available.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I think there are products around that will self-seal for a small leak situation.

You pour it into the tire either at installation or through the "removed" valve stem.

I think Slime has some and probably others as well.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I think Slime has some and probably others as well.
Don't expect a "slimed" tire to ever hold a plug, and it will be a mess at changing time.

Since a flat tire on a motorcycle is much more inconvenient than a flat tire on a car.......
A flat tire on a TPM'd motorcycle is easier than putting on rain gear. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
... A flat tire on a TPM'd motorcycle is easier than putting on rain gear. :)[/QUOTE said:
How so? I don't understand how a TPM system helps with flats.

TPadden

Tom Padden
How so? I don't understand how a TPM system helps with flats.
Last 2 nails I picked up on trips remained in the tires until I got home. If you can monitor the leak no reason to do anything as long as it's a slow leak. In both cases I just re-filled the tire at gas stops, pulled nails and plugged tires days (and thousands of miles) later in my own garage, or at my son's on the other coast.

Tom

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Last 2 nails I picked up on trips remained in the tires until I got home. If you can monitor the leak no reason to do anything as long as it's a slow leak. In both cases I just re-filled the tire at gas stops, pulled nails and plugged tires days (and thousands of miles) later in my own garage, or at my son's on the other coast.

Tom
I see. The last flat I got was not so slow. I turned to head home as soon as I felt it getting low (even a small pressure drop is noticeable), but only made it another 3 miles before no go. I was still 15 miles from home and had to call for a "tow".

TPadden

Tom Padden
I see. The last flat I got was not so slow. I turned to head home as soon as I felt it getting low (even a small pressure drop is noticeable), but only made it another 3 miles before no go. I was still 15 miles from home and had to call for a "tow".
If you can feel it, it's too late. If you could go 3 miles after feeling a "flat" my bet is pumping it up would have gotten you home, to a gas station, or to a lit Wal-Mart parking lot for a repair.

I really can't feel any difference on the road between 48 psi and 28 psi. A 20 psi drop in an hour would be a very significant leak. I've always carried a pump and plugs but don't worry about flats at all anymore with TPM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
If you can feel it, it's too late. If you could go 3 miles after feeling a "flat" my bet is pumping it up would have gotten you home, to a gas station, or to a lit Wal-Mart parking lot for a repair.

I really can't feel any difference on the road between 48 psi and 28 psi. A 20 psi drop in an hour would be a very significant leak. I've always carried a pump and plugs but don't worry about flats at all anymore with TPM.
You may be right. I assumed that I could feel a rear tire getting low long before a 20 PSI drop, but my assumption was based on my experiences with the front tire. On a previous ride when I hadn't checked the pressure in a little while (I should do better) and within the first 1/2 mile, the bike felt "squirmy". I went back home and checked the pressure. The rear was fine, but the front was just a few pounds lows. I was surprised that it was so easy to detect. Maybe the rear is not so easy to detect when slightly low.

I also carry a pump and plugs, but I couldn't find the source of the leak.

Top Bottom