Blown plug hole!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I forgot to put the keepers and shims back on.

did you mean to say you forgot to put the buckets and shims back on? The keepers wouldn't have been removed unless you took the valves out of the head, right?

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
did you mean to say you forgot to put the buckets and shims back on? The keepers wouldn't have been removed unless you took the valves out of the head, right?
Yep, I forgot to put the buckets and shims on, one of the valves popped the keeper off because of that, and it dropped into the crankcase. (edited post.) Fortunately it didn't cause any damage but it was definitely a brain fart on my part. Setting up the cams on the left side head is easy once you realize the subtleties of the design.

Next on the list of To-Do's is a replacement of the brake master viewing window to match the clutch master. And I'll probably rebuild the clutch master and slave this year. Otherwise, everything is going good with the bike!

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Oh Boy !!! I can't wait until I have to adjust the valve clearance on my ST1100 - that pic above is exciting to look at !!!

I have checked my clearances three times since I bought my ST1100 used, and each time all clearances were just about dead-nuts in the center of the range - almost too hard to believe, even for myself :mad:

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Oh Boy !!! I can't wait until I have to adjust the valve clearance on my ST1100 - that pic above is exciting to look at !!!

I have checked my clearances three times since I bought my ST1100 used, and each time all clearances were just about dead-nuts in the center of the range - almost too hard to believe, even for myself :mad:
If you ever have to adjust the clearances, you only have to take off the 12 bolts that hold the 2 cam guides in place. You shouldn't have to do anything with the valves or keepers as I did here. So hopefully this isn't something you ever have to replicate! :)

The buckets and shims slide right off by hand once the cams are out of the way.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Yup, I have a ST1100 service manual and it looks like a really straight forward job.

I also have a ST1300 Service Manual, even tho I don't own a ST1300. It looks a little harder to do on the 1300 - the cam chain needs to slipped off the camshaft sprocket. Another reason to hold onto my ST1100 until I or it dies But then, a ST1100 engine in good condition can be had for a very reasonable cost off Ebay.

Last edited:
Have used the time sert system twice on a ford escape v6 , No problem either time , you put grease on the rethreading tool to catch most of the aluminum chips & blow the cylinder out with air after that , It replaces the threads with a steel insert, that locks in place.
The threading tool is reusable & new inserts are supposedly available from the company, the system is far superior to heli coil rethreading IMHO.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Left head is off and cylinder looks good and now to take it in to get a Time-sert installed.
+10 on the time-serts. These inserts are a permanent repair. I have had helicoils pull out after a time but the time-sert will stay put It's just a bit more involved to install one but gives me more peace of mind than than the slinky.

Top Bottom