Pirate Cove backrest to OEM Top Box - Will I be missing pieces?

Bike
2008 ST1300
Pirates Lair Stealth backrest to OEM Top Box - Will I be missing pieces?

Hi All,

When I purchased my ST1300 last year, there was a Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest (<--my bad...thought it was Pirates "Cove") already installed, which was great in lieu of a top box. I just purchased an OEM top box and was looking through some of the archives about installation (just to see what the pitfalls are) and I see some mention of re-using existing parts. Unfortunately, I don't have the original hardware, just what that comes with the Pirates Cove rest (the Line-X type of coating on the center plate).

Any ideas or input on what I may be missing or need to find before installing the top box? I just hate to get into the installation and find out there's some obscure piece that I need to track down. LOL

Thanks in advance!

Coolhand

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolhand
Bike
2008 ST1300
In case anyone else ends up in the same situation that I did:

I ordered the following part numbers to make sure I had all the stock components:

50618-MN8-000 (Collar, two (2))
77313-MCS-G00 (Cover, one (1))
91501-766-000 (Collar, two (2))

I also ordered four (4) 6 x 19 screws (PN 90104-MN4-000) but did not need them; the top box comes with its own set of fasteners across the board. They would be used with the OEM cover, but aren't used with the top box. Ultimately, removing the Pirate's Lair backrest and going back to stock only requires that you have the OEM plate...the OEM collars are reused, but sometimes it's nice to have new ones on hand anyway.

The cover is about $15, the rest is about $1.50 each. I could have reused the spacers that were in with the Pirates Lair backrest, but decided to use the new ones since I already had them.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you got it sorted out! I've only had topboxes on my bikes.

But, now if you hang on to the screws you bought, when you get ready to sell the ST, you can remove the topbox and sell it separately, and still be able to put the bike back stock.

When you sell a bike with all the accessories on the bike, you only get pennies to the dollar, vs selling the accessories by themselves and getting more pennies for them!

Just the way it works!

OP
OP
Coolhand
Bike
2008 ST1300
Glad you got it sorted out! I've only had topboxes on my bikes.

But, now if you hang on to the screws you bought, when you get ready to sell the ST, you can remove the topbox and sell it separately, and still be able to put the bike back stock.

When you sell a bike with all the accessories on the bike, you only get pennies to the dollar, vs selling the accessories by themselves and getting more pennies for them!

Just the way it works!
Very true! I got lucky with my ST that the PO left all the farkles on it (probably $1500-$2000 worth all together). I paid it forward in a way when I traded my Intruder 1500, I left the extras on it with a few minor exceptions. I would probably sell the top box separately if I was to get rid of the ST, but who knows...by then it may not be much of a demand item. I tend to hang onto them a while, and I love this bike so I don't see it going anywhere soon. =)

Top Bottom