Toolkit?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
2008 ST1300 , does this bike come with a tool kit? I just got the bike at the end of the riding season last year and haven't noticed it yet.

thanks

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Re: tools....

Where on the bike would it be? Thanks for replying! :)

Bike
2010 ST1300

Its tucked away under the pillion seat right in front of the rear indicator lights. Might even be a rubber strap holding it down. The rod with two bent ends running fore and aft on the left side of the bike (also under the pillion seat) is the tank prop for holding it up when playing around up front. You don't want to pull the tank up much farther than the prop would hold it. If you do yank it skyward, the big hose connecting upper and lower gas tanks might rupture or pull loose. Don't play w/ the tank while you are smoking.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

Its tucked away under the pillion seat right in front of the rear indicator lights. Might even be a rubber strap holding it down. The rod with two bent ends running fore and aft on the left side of the bike (also under the pillion seat) is the tank prop for holding it up when playing around up front. You don't want to pull the tank up much farther than the prop would hold it. If you do yank it skyward, the big hose connecting upper and lower gas tanks might rupture or pull loose. Don't play w/ the tank while you are smoking.
That hose he speaks of is fairly inexpensive from Honda , might want to replace it for a 2008 anyway - note : the hose ends are 2 different sizes with a molded-in bend . You can disconnect vent hose from upper tank nipple and drain the upper tank through the lower tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just looking for my bikes tool kit which is I guess at the rear of the bike.(thanks SMSW) I've already found the tank prop and changed the air filter. Maybe I'll double check those hoses to make sure I didn't disturb them. (thanks TourNut)
I figured there was a tool kit, just hadn't seen it yet.

Thanks again....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

That hose he speaks of is fairly inexpensive from Honda , might want to replace it for a 2008 anyway - note : the hose ends are 2 different sizes with a molded-in bend . You can disconnect vent hose from upper tank nipple and drain the upper tank through the lower tank.
Hold off, don't replace that hose until you know that the 2008 and after, both ends are the same size on that hose....Unless you put a 2004 Tank on a 2010...But who would do that?:hat3:

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

Hold off, don't replace that hose until you know that the 2008 and after, both ends are the same size on that hose....Unless you put a 2004 Tank on a 2010...But who would do that?:hat3:
sure thing.....I think the hoses are in good shape but I'll check if they are still attached properly.

You've got to watch those 2004 tanks! :)

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Here is what the tool kit consists of- see here. It was shipped from the factory with the bike. Whether the original owner ever received it or not is another story. There is a debate about whether Honda supplies a tool kit or not. I have received it with every ST that I have bought regardless of year. I believe that Honda supplies it but the problem is that while it is shipped with the bike it is not installed on the bike. When doing the prep the dealers don't put it on the bike just as they often do not leave the knee pads in the saddlebag either as they are supposed to. I have mentioned this to several people (some in the U.S. as well as in Canada) who had bought new ST's. When they went back and asked the dealer they had the tool kit and the knee pads as well. Having said all that you would be better off to put your own tool kit together. You will have better quality tools and your kit will consist of the tools that you want to carry.
I did think about adding a decent set of tools to the bike,especially if I'm going on a long trip.I just wanted to see what tools the bike already has.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Just order a ST1100 Tool Kit.
Get the part # from a Dealer, & hopefully they still have them.
Thats the FIRST thing I did when I saw that single Allen wrench in that little foam pouch!
That 1100 Tool Kit has 99% of the wrenches & sizes U need for any ST1300 road work.
We all know it SHOULD have been included with the bike.
Also, that hard cased Goldwing Tool Kit is a good, complete, quick access set to keep in the garage.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #

My 1991 and 1995 ST1100s and 2003 ST1300 came with tools, in a pouch, tucked way back. My buddy's used 2008 showed up with no tools.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
You peaked my curiosity- If someone has decided that they want to purchase the Honda tools and they have an ST1300 why wouldn't they order the ST1300 tool kit?
YEA- A Lot of ways to stock a tool kit for the 1300. This one just worked for me. Good Luck.

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
You peaked my curiosity- If someone has decided that they want to purchase the Honda tools and they have an ST1300 why wouldn't they order the ST1300 tool kit?
Because the 1100 kit has more tools. The 1300 kits are just a few low quality tools.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I went looking for the tool kit and there was nothing there. Just a void where it used to be and some rubber tie downs. I kind of wished there was something there from OEM, but oh well. I'll get a set of tools together to carry with me.
I also noticed that the ECM (i think ECM - black square box?) was just kind of floating around in there being banged around as I drive. I put a shop towel underneath it and used the "tool kit tie down rubbers" :) to hold it in place. It feels good to get familiar with this big steed but man is it hard to work on. I'm just not used to it I guess.
I was going to adjust my gear shifter position lower because I installed GoldWing pegs but cannot imagine how you're supposed to get at the upper rod end nut??? Maybe it will be OK as is...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Because the 1100 kit has more tools. The 1300 kits are just a few low quality tools.
I have the tool kits from both models. They do have different tools in them but the difference in quantity is only one tool. As far as quality goes you are quite right that they are pretty low in that department. However, the 1100 kit is no better in quality than the 1300 kit so if I were the OP and I was missing the tool kit I would probably make up my own because of this.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The tool kits that came with all my Hondas (none came with my STs) were low quality but I did a lot of work with them and they never failed me. And cheaply made though it was the spark plug socket was worth it's weight in— something significant if not gold. I put a good Craftman socket in its place and the first time I needed it I found it didn't fit in the plug well. Live and learn.

That said I wouldn't buy one from Honda. I'd roll my own. It would definitely have a collapsable T-handle with a 5mm 'bit'.

Top Bottom