I'm at a loss - Idle problems - Need a solution

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The problem: When the ST was warmed up, I turned it off. When I tried to restart it it wouldn't hold an idle and died immediately. I repeated this a couple of times, then held the throttle open and it started and then it went to a normal idle. What can cause this?

I've been working on my gas/crankcase smell issue and came across a problem I've had before at higher altitudes but not in Central Texas. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?156453-Occasional-Gas-Crankcase-Smells&highlight= New emission hoses and silicone vacuum hoses are a year old. I got my throttle bodies back on and everything ready for a throttle sync. Yes, new insulators correctly tightened to SM spec. The ST started up after gas got to the injectors with no problem. I topped the radiator off and closed it up (radiator cap). I took off the vacuum hoses and then hooked up the motion pro carb sync tool and calibrated it off the #1 throttle body. Got interrupted, turned ST off, came back. When I tried to start the ST, I got my problem. After the problem the ST idled correctly and I more or less finished the sync.

The sync was rough, the fluid in the tubes really bounce around and induced air into the fluid. I did get them pretty level for all that and the ST was running smoother. Probably hooked it up wrong, because I didn't put in the restrictors that looked more like plugs. I'll reexamine this and repeat if necessary.

I've had the ST stall about 6 or 7 times over the past 4 years in Colorado and New Mexico with similar results, everything goes back to normal after I hold the throttle open for a few seconds (about 2 to 3 thousand revs). It doesn't happen every day, sometimes once over an entire trip spent in higher altitudes. I imagine the reason it repeated here in Texas is because all the PAIR hoses and vacuum hoses are disconnected, along with the airbox and gas tank.

I read a post where BakerBoy was having problems at altitudes when he was responding to an Idle post but never saw his solution. His problem sounded much like mine. Maybe he posted it else where.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Call me on the white courtesy phone.
PM sent

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well, problem solved! :D Seems the restart idle failure is a feature of the MAP error code. Just hold the throttle open a bit when restarting after you induce the error by removing the vacuum hoses and shuting down the ST1300. Thanks for the phone call Larry! :bow1:

Larry seems to think I'm already addressing the other occasional stalling problem by the sync and cleaning the 5 way-T. All's good now.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Now if only Larry could send popcorn over the 'Net! (And not via .jpgs!) Looks like I'm going to saddle up!

Top Bottom