Putting throttle bodies back in, stray hose/

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I thought I was close, then this reared it's ugly head. I thought I had 3 hoses for the tank, but foolishly believed an extra I had seen was a vent line. I now realize I was wrong. Anyone got any idea where this goes? Comes out from underneath the throttle bodies. It's the hose to the left. I now see that the cluster of three are what goes to the tank. I still haven't located my service manual, so I'm working from memory, which apparently isn't that good anymore. Am I destined to pull the throttle bodies again?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
That looks like the hose to the coolant tank, what it's doing there I can't imagine. It routes under the rubber heat mat to the left of the left side throttle body insulators and next to the frame. The picture doesn't show the end of it so that I couldn't be sure. The hose for the coolant tank to the neck of the radiator has a black interior and and a gray exterior with that type of clip on it.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If your looking up under the tank from the front of the bike (bikes right will be on your left) The first line on the left will be the fuel tank air vent hose, the second from the left will be the fuel tank breather hose, the last one is the fuel tank drain hose.
Make sure they are all three under the retaining band so they won't get pinched. You do also know that when you put the assembly back together, you don't "tighten" the insulator clamps tight, you measure from the flats. The insulator clamp - cylinder head side is 10+- 1mm (0.4 -0.04 in) and the insulator clamps on the throttle body sides 7+- 1mm (0.3 =- 0.04inch) or you will get air leaks.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
That looks like the hose to the coolant tank, what it's doing there I can't imagine. It routes under the rubber heat mat to the left of the left side throttle body insulators and next to the frame. The picture doesn't show the end of it so that I couldn't be sure. The hose for the coolant tank to the neck of the radiator has a black interior and and a gray exterior with that type of clip on it.
Nice try Bob but no :bannana...sorry I couldn't resist that one, no disrespect meant, I just like the banana.
Igofar

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The first line on the left will be the fuel tank air vent hose, the second from the left will be the fuel tank breather hose, the last one is the fuel tank drain hose.
None of those hoses have a clip like that though. Also none of the evap canister hoses have a clip. The only hose back there I can think of that has that clip is the coolant tank hose, which was probably removed when the coolant was drained.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Good point, I was going from memory, I just checked the hose routing in the service manual and it may be the fuel return hose that connects to the end of the rail on the right rear corner!

Edit:
Nope, wrong type of spring clamp, I'm gonna have to go lift my tank and look now. I have seen the vent lines with those type of fuel line clips on them.
I don't think the overflow line from the coolant tank would be long enough to reach over that far. What about the line coming of the radiator spout? Same fuel line fastener, and it would be long enough, but why would someone move it that far out of the way?

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good point, I was going from memory, I just checked the hose routing in the service manual and it may be the fuel return hose that connects to the end of the rail on the right rear corner!
I just got through putting that on the other day and it has one of those clips you need a pair of pliers to move. Still think it's the coolant hose to the coolant tank. If I could see the hose end on I could confirm or say I don't have a clue.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Until I pull my tank and look, I still think it was the fuel line vent.
Can we have some more pictures please?

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Here's the hose I'm talking about (see dashed yellow line). Runs from the radiator neck to the felt of the left side throttle bodies, then to the coolant tank. I don't have a picture of the back side.

Coolant Hose.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Ok, think I got it....Tube Drain - 17543-mcs-L00 and the clip is 95002-02120 (b12).
I lifted my tank and mine (2007) has them holding the line on the tank.
I don't believe you could even move the overflow tank hose over there due to the lower tank being in the way. It would have to be a couple feet long.
Lift your tank and take a peek and tell us what you find.
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Here's the hose I'm talking about (see dashed yellow line). Runs from the radiator neck to the felt of the left side throttle bodies, then to the coolant tank. I don't have a picture of the back side.

Coolant Hose.jpg
Great picture, that is the coolant line that goes up to the side of the radiator spout. That would have been a pretty serious leak if that was left off :rofl1:
So, for future reference, both the lines coming off the bottom of the tank, AND the coolant line both use those darn clips....now we know. Thanks for solving that.
My hats is off to you sir:bow1:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Ok, think I got it....Tube Drain - 17543-mcs-L00 and the clip is 95002-02120 (b12).
I lifted my tank and mine (2007) has them holding the line on the tank.
You could be right. I'd need to see the end of it to be sure. Fuel hoses and water hoses are easy to tell apart by the construction.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I am looking in my manual and is it the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor? Looks like the same wire clamp. Also under the throttle position sensor connector there is a vacuum line with a wire clamp as well.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Map sensor line(s) don't have clips, and the other line use mention uses a flat spring clamp.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I was just looking at the SM general instructions of the hose routing for the gas tank and none of them have that spring clamp. Also, checked mine and there no spring camp on them, although the fuel return hose has a flat clamp. Having just put my throttle bodies on, I remember there where no spring clamps attached to it. All rubber emission and vacuum hoses were just push onto the nipples, except for the fuel return hose which had a flat clamp and fuel line which had a fitting torqued to 16 ft-lbf.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
OK, Hold my beer, I got this....:rofl1:
After looking at the picture again, something jumped out at me :scared2:
For any of you who have flushed or serviced the radiator, you have taken the line off of the spout that the cap goes on right :think1:
Remember the little tube that the line pushes on :nuts1:
It has a limit line to push up to, and leaves that bulge just behind the wire clip.
If you check out the picture, there it is plain as day, ladies and gentleman I give you :wave1: the bulge!
That's my final answer, what do I win? :run1::run1::run1:

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Until I pull my tank and look, I still think it was the fuel line vent.
Can we have some more pictures please?
Will work on a couple more pics. The line to the recovery tank is indeed not on the tank, I believe we may have a winner! That being said, I won't know for sure until I remove the air box, snorkels, base and throttle bodies, again.:banghead:

On the bright side, I got a refresher course on how that all goes together. Someone has been in there before, because they marked the snorkels etc with the cyl numbers, they also stripped some of the screw holes the snorkels attach to, so, I will yank them tonight, and fill the holes with plastiweld at work tomorrow morning, then redrill the holes so they hold tight when I reinstall them. I was gonna let it slide, but seeing as I have to take them out again, may as well fix them., unless of course the snorkel bases themselves are intechangeable, in which case I may be able to swap them around until I get a sequence that works with fresh holes. Thanks for the tip about the insulator bands. I never had to touch the lower bands, so I'll pay attention to the 4 uppers upon reinstall, I lubed them on the first go around, hopefully they will pop right back out.
Thanks fellas.
Thanks

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
PM sent, standing by the white courtesy phone :call:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The Plastic bases that the snorkels sit on are all the same, however, the rubber snorkel itself has two units with 4 holes, and two units with 8 holes. They do this so the little arrow points to the index mark putting it back together, and to point the snorkels in the correct direction.
I find a white paint pencil helps when taking the off, I mark the snorkels 1,2,3,4, and scribe a line on the washer(s) to the bases so I know at a glance where all three pieces go back together. What is damaged? The screws that hold the bases down? or the threads that those screws go into?
Call me, I also have the line in question in hand and can text you a picture of it.
Igofar

Last edited:
Top Bottom