Truck a ST1300

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Having never looked at a Tacoma up close you guys have made me rather curious. How flimsy is the tailgate? Are they made of aluminum? I have transported many bikes in GM and Ford trucks with the rear wheel sitting directly on the tailgate.
Just google Tacoma weak tailgate for plenty of links. The gate is steel, but thin/weak. I had a 94 Nissan and a 94 Toyota and never had problems with those tailgates when transporting bikes. But the 2nd generation Tacoma gate is notorious for weakness.

To make matters worse, they used cables rather than brackets as the gate supports. The cables stretch under pressure, causing the gate to droop when transporting a heavy load. The cables do recover after the load is removed.

It's bad enough that there are commercial products to reinforce the gate, for example http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/2005-2015-toyota-tacoma-tailgate-reinforcement-skin-with-ribs-by-mobtown-off-road-4p9va-05.html. That link has a good picture of the cables.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Maybe you should just rent a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul. They are cheap, and low to the ground, easy loading.

OP
OP
BruceP
Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
I jammed out. Loaded it on a low flatbed trailer screwed 2X4 to the floor on all sides of the front tire and Strapped it down with 4" ratchet straps. Home safe and sound.

TKS for the imput

Bike
2012 ST1300
I jammed out. Loaded it on a low flatbed trailer screwed 2X4 to the floor on all sides of the front tire and Strapped it down with 4" ratchet straps. Home safe and sound.

TKS for the imput
Good deal! Glad things worked out.

Top Bottom