Very stiff clutch ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If an adjustable clutch lever is properly designed and used within its limitations and properly maintained it won't take your life. Maybe that's why the 2017 GoldWings still has them after all these years. If I'm not mistaken F6Bs had adjustable clutch levers.

That every Honda made doesn't have them VERY likely has nothing to do with safety but with bean counters.

I have an adjustable clutch lever on my ST. It's almost where I like it but not quite. I also know why I can't get it perfectly adjusted to my liking. It's still an improvement over stock so like any farkle it's used with consideration to its limitations.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Some riders here have 0 problems with starting their bikes with adjustable levers and others have found that of the range of adjustment offered some settings don't allow the bike to start if the clutch microswitch isn't activated. With the engine off you can easily hear it when/where it clicks and adjust accordingly.

My specific observation is that the thickness of various aftermarket hand grips keeps the clutch lever from being fully depressed making the initial first few settings unusable without shifting to Neutral. With OEM grips or something very similar there will very likely be 0 problems.
It must also be why some bikes are hotter feeling then others.. some unknown adjustment.

I put the HONDA CB1 adjustable clutch lever on my bike, my grips are a lot thicker then OEM and I am not having any problems.
Over the OEM grips I have a full layer of VHB tape and then a roll of bicycle handlebar tape.

OP
OP
Thanks all. After changing the clutch fluid and giving everything a good clean, it's much better, so I'm sticking with what I've got.

Thanks again.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Thanks all. After changing the clutch fluid and giving everything a good clean, it's much better, so I'm sticking with what I've got.

Thanks again.
Good for you Jack - glad you're back on top line with it. These things nearly always have a solution and if you search methodically, you'll find it.

Your issue sue brought forth a stimulating and interesting exchange of views, I must say. I think it showed that there are often several ways to interpret things and that no one person is the font of all knowledge.

Anyhow - Per Ardua ad Astra!

Bike
07 ST1300
If an adjustable clutch lever is properly designed and used within its limitations and properly maintained it won't take your life.
Yes of course. But it must be considered. That's all I was originally saying. Or meant to say. I like my Chinese adjustable levers and will not give them back.

Top Bottom