Working on Bad Form

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I usually ride pretty casually, but occasionally, I like to pick it up to a spirited pace. When I do, I've noticed that I'm actually more comfortable in right-hand turns than lefts. I got to wondering about that because left-hand turns are more gradual and you can see further down the road so they should be more comfortable.

I finally realized that my issue was my setup into the turn. Since I ride on the left side of the lane (on single lane roads), I'm already set up to enter a right-hand turn properly. For left-hand turns, I haven't been moving to the right side of the lane before entering the turn. This means that I can only follow the apex rather than cutting across it. Also, since I don't want to be too far left while leaning left, I probably drift a little to the right entering the turn and then have to correct for that. It's very subtle, but it is bad form.

This is basic stuff and I certainly understand the concept of choosing a good line, but I haven't been practicing it because 90% of time, it's not necessary. So I'm going to consciously practice moving right before entering a left-hander and hopefully it becomes a more automatic behavior.

Of course, comments are welcome, but the main reason I wrote this is because putting it into words helps me visualize what I've been doing and what I should be doing.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
There are plenty of forums on this topic and you'll get lots of replies to this along with links (I had a bunch ready but decided to just go with comments myself).

Realizing your form was "bad" is not wrong and to want to improve is a great idea for any and all of us. Being safer when riding is what we all should be striving for. Your awareness of turns and positioning is great, but I'd caution about choosing one specific set of paths as always being the "correct way" for all circumstances. The normal "racing line", or fast paced style, apexing through a corner may not be the safest line for you(or me too as I've been known to go quickly too). When we ride on public roads to commit to a single possible best route may be too limiting and not the "safest" way to achieve our ride's goals.

My two cents (on this one issue) is that I don't think that moving to the right, for a left turn, across the center of the lane, through possible ruts, dropped oil and fluids, changes in camber due to road construction and other factors is the best, even if it opens up the biggest circle for my turn.

I realize you were only describing a single turn situation and can only describe so much in a small post. I'm also oversimplifying my reply and only speaking to the one point above and trying not to be negative in the process, just observing that we can all learn more and change our minds and riding styles to suit the roads and safety available to us at any given time. We all slow down in the rain.

I look forward to all the other replies too, and the links that no doubt will come with direction to even better explained learning.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I would recommend reading Motorcycle Roadcraft, available online.
You obviously know where you should be which is probably at least half the battle.
By positioning correctly you obviously maximise your view ahead whilst acknowledgeing the limit point, ie the point where offside and nearside verges appear to meet. When the limit point starts to run then it's time to move across the road to position for the next hazard.
The only problem with knowing where you should be of course is you can start to criticise yourself. It must be bliss to be ignorant at times.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would also recommend reading PROFICIENT MOTORCYCLING and MORE PROFICIENT MOTORCYLING by David Hough. He explains cornering and techniques in simple terms that can be understood. We all get 'lazy' habits over time and knowing this and working on them is a good thing.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Agree with Phil on his book choices, great info. Most m/c schools in Ontario want you to flatten the turn out and come in wide with most forward view, flatten the curve out and exit wide with most forward view
depending on which turn it is. Our licencing body the MTO test that way when they certify you. To be clear, on a right handed curve, you start in the left track for most view forward, centre of curve you cross the lane and exit in the left track. I do prefer Dave Hough's method though especially for spirited cornering where you enter on the left track and stay out wide till you see the exit point of the corner then push hard and accelerate out ending up in the left track again. Both are good.

Top Bottom