R/H side camchain tensioner

Hello all,
I`ve been wondering about access to the r/h side camchain tensioner when removing the camshafts, is it possible to get to this by removing the radiator and thermostat instead of going through the top.Ie removing airbox etc,just wondered if anyone has done it this way.
Ed.

OP
OP
edward
Thanks for the reply,It just seems a good idea to do it that way and change the coolant/tighten hoses at the same time, Removing the radiator etc will at least have a dual purpose unlike removing the air box etc just for access.
Thanks, Ed.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
It's a lot less work and definitely less mess to pull the air box than it is to drain, remove and refill the radiator.

--Mark

OP
OP
edward
Yep, you are right, Only thing is, I was thinking that if the side cowls etc are off to change the shims anyway a couple more bolts and hose clips wont hurt and the coolant change is done as well, this is assuming the timing of the two jobs coincide.I have changed the coolant before but never really looked into the access for the camchain tensioner while I have been doing it.Valve clearances were on the low side on a couple of exhausts last time I checked so I have been thinking maybee at some point I could kill two birds with one stone if the shims needed replacing on the r/h side.
Ed.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I adjusted the RH exhaust valves just like you proposed. IIRC I had to lift the rubber heat mat out of the way to access the tensioner. I used a 3/16" flat blade screwdriver to unwind the cam chain tensioner and a 6" pair of vice grips locked onto the screwdriver handle to hold it in place. The vice grips bore up against the cylinder head.

OP
OP
edward
Thanks to all who replied,will try it when the time comes,
Ed.

Top Bottom