smell of antifreze

Anyone help me?, have a strong smell of antifreeze coming from bike.
have no leaks, at it's worst when bike is at normal temps. stealthrider06

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Time to strip off the plastic and do some sleuthing. You obviously have a leak somewhere and it doesn't take much coolant on a hot surface to cause the smell. Probably a hose clamp somewhere.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Anyone help me?, have a strong smell of antifreeze coming from bike.
have no leaks, at it's worst when bike is at normal temps. stealthrider06
Welcome to the world of ST ownership. There are many, many posts on this forum concerning the common, but rarely critical, problem of coolant leaks, which are most common in cooler temps.

OP
OP
upt'north,
it's a 1300 06, I changed upper /lower hoses radiator cap, no leaks, it's vaporing somewhere.
wondering a hole in water piping?

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I did a thermostat replacement and after the install did smell antifreeze in cold weather. I removed the fairing to look for a leak and found none. I nowcheck the coolant reservoir once a year and add a small amount. No big coolant loss for me.

Byron

STOC #
The clamps are loosest when the bike is cold which is when it is likely leaking. Probably in the upper valley where if is vaporing off without dripping off the engine where it could be seen on the lower faring or on the ground beneath the bike. As the bike warms the clamps seal better which is why you're not getting a noticeable leak. Use caution when tightening the clamps as more damage can be done to the hoses from over tightening.

Bike
VStrom 650
The clamps are loosest when the bike is cold which is when it is likely leaking. Probably in the upper valley where if is vaporing off without dripping off the engine where it could be seen on the lower faring or on the ground beneath the bike. As the bike warms the clamps seal better which is why you're not getting a noticeable leak. Use caution when tightening the clamps as more damage can be done to the hoses from over tightening.
+1
Makes good sense, but don't overtighten.
Upt'North.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I managed to tighten all 8 of the top end hose clamps this week. Some were a snap,,, some were a bear. But I got to them all without pulling the throttle bodies. Next time around it will be a complete tear down for new hoses. I had minor leakage of the cold start variety,,, and I can see some coolant down in the valley. Next step will be to get the airbox and tank back in place, then fire it up for a leak check. Hopefully back at it next week. I am considering getting a digital borescope,, as trying to see and work in those tight spaces is tough. It is only tightening hose clamps,, but it starts to feel like brain surgery !! Cat'

Top Bottom