sub frame st 1100

Hi Folks, I was checking my rad switch, and notice that the sub frame has what appears to be sever corrosion across the center section, which the rad sits on.
My question is can I change the sub-frame in situ, IE take of the fairing and using a jack,and piece of wood to take the engine weight, then undo the engine bolts and remove sub frame and replace with new piece. I already have this on its way via eBay, intend to have it cleaned rustproofed and painted by yours truly .
1/ IS THIS A EASY JOB ONE MAN JOB OR 2,
2/ WHAT NEEDS TO COME OFF IN ORDER TO GET AT SUB-FRAME.
3/ I AM DISABLED DOH,SO THE OTHER QUESTION DO YOU HAVE TO HERCULES TO COMPLETE THE TASK.
[FONT=&quot]Removable Frame Bar Cross Member is the item, thanks Craig [/FONT]

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Any chance if you remove the radiator, a piece of steel can be welded in to strengthened the sub frame so you don't need to replace it ??

OP
OP
craigsif
Hi Jim,I haven't gone that down that route,given the amount of visual corrosion I am not sure there would be enough metal to weld to. Given its location it might prove difficult to obtain a decent weld all around. But thanks for the idea,it something to bear in mind. I have brought a good second hand part so once that has been checked and cleaned, I will fit that if possible. Looking at my Haynes manual it not beyond my scope fingers crossed. Stay safe Craig

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Wow ! That's a lot of corrosion. I don't think it will be too hard for one person to replace the sub-frame if you support the engine from below.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Nice job - much , much better than new !!! I'm embarrassed. I would have never thought of the zinc plating. I will file that for future reference for sure !!

I wonder what Mr. Bush will have to say about this ??

Top Bottom