Police Control pod.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I found the extra connector for my police pod, or rather I found a bunch of cut wires. I guess when they de-policed it they just cut the connector, but, I digress.....
Does anyone have a diagram showing which wires go to which switch? I want to connect up some low draw LED lights(set on the forks, set inside the fairing poking out the holes where the engine guards were-for low speed parking lot illumination) and possibly a set under the chin fairing, picked them up cheap on ebay, figured I'd try them out, but I want to control them from the pod. Ordering a fuse panel for under the seat so I can neaten up the wiring for farkles also. Can't find what I really want for the money I'm willing to drop, but have found one that I think will work, just have to ground to the frame versus the panel itself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122380122397?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They are small, but bright. Fork lights are more for visibility, mounted on the forks lowers they are constantly moving, making them extremely visible. The fairing lights will be pointed down and out, illuminating and area just in front and to the side of the front wheel. The chin lights? Well, just because.....

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Yup, unfortunately no color printer at work, sigh. Guess I'll actually have to use my own printer at the house.......what is the world coming to....? I think the actual flasher unit is illegal for use in the US.........:rolleyes:

Thanks

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yup, unfortunately no color printer at work, sigh. Guess I'll actually have to use my own printer at the house.......what is the world coming to....? I think the actual flasher unit is illegal for use in the US.........:rolleyes:

Thanks
Yeah, it probably looks like my LEDs on my non-LED modulator...;)

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Okay, after much head scratching, I realized that I was missing some wires from the above schematic.....much later I figured out that someone had cut some of the wires short and tucked them back up against the main pod harness, and done a very nice job of taping them, so much so that I believed it was just a factory tape. So, now that I have all the needed wires I need to figure out the actual wiring job, and apparently I've been hitting myself with the stupid stick this week.
As we all know, space is at a premium up behind the fairing on the 13's, so I dug around in my parts bins and came up with 4 95224-29050 relays. They are small enough that I could fit a dozen or so up there in the dark recess's, but, I only need 4, I for each set of lights. Yup, it's overkill, but I'll feel better powering them all off relays, and will allow me to upgrade later if I so desire. They are regular 4 pin relays, 20 amp capacity, just smaller than your average relay. And this is where the stupid stick rears it's ugly head, I probably need a beer.......

I have paired each set of wires for each switch position. I plan on running power from the quarter harness and hooking one side of each switch circuit to it, basically attaching 4 wires to the power. Then the other side of the switch circuit will go to a "trigger" (#85)on the relay.

Okay, here comes stupid...
Do I run the other "trigger"(#86) pole direct to ground, or will the current flow be to much for the switch? If not, I will then have one shared power source, from the aux fuse panel(blue sea-mounted under the pass seat) daisy chained to the #87 pole on the relay, using the #30 to feed power to each light. The grounds for each light will all be rounded to the chassis.

Am I making any sense at all? Pics of mini relay and standard relay in comparison(I know, one is a 5 pin, I'm using the 4 pin)0324172304.jpg0324172305.jpg

And a very bad diagram of what I think I'm doing....I scare myself sometimes....0324172338.jpg each light # is actually a pair.

FYI, if anyone cares, these relays are available at any pick a part, just look for Hyundai, and kia vehicles, probably used in other imports also. I tend to pick them up along with fuses etc when I'm out picking up parts for other projects. I pay my 2 bucks, walk in, and even if I don't find what I need, usually end up with a pocket full of relays and fuses...

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
My .02 is you are making this a lot harder than needed.
Acc power to fuse to One relay ( acc power to relay takes battery positive to 4 switch5) to 4 switches. Switch to light. Light grounded. Done. Those lights don't draw much power at all.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Granted, they don't draw much power, but, I may decide to change to different lights later, this is just more of a proof of concept.( I may try to find someone who can manufacture a mounting block for the relays, prewired, specifically for moto use) and I really don't want a lot of power running through that switch pod. Doing it this way means I can always bolster the feed line later quite easily. Toying with the idea of running a piece of Pex from the rear to the front and running the wires through that, eliminating any chance of wire chaff on the frame....but that's just an idea, for later. The major question is: Is my wiring gonna be right? :think1:

Ok I realized I made a mistake. Updated diagram coming.0325171544.jpg

Ok, that should be what I need to do, what sayeth the electrical gurus? Bear with me, 36 hours with no sleep. Been kinda busy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
got some grass cut, and whipped this up. yes, all the wires are the same color, and I left my numbering kit at work, but all my red and black wire seems to have been used up. Once I get each wire numbered, I will wrap tape each harness. Now to come up with a method of attachment to the bike and start connecting stuff to switches. I have to pull the Left fairing off to gain access to the quartet harness area.
0325171728.jpg

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
0326170948a.jpg
Blue Sea fuse panel installed under pass seat.

And murphy bit me in the butt. I pulled the fairing to install the new quartet harness, and it's already got one......So, I now have a spare....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Well, murphy is just going to keep rearing his ugly head.......Turns out I don't have a 9 pin hitachi connector,(I do not want to cut connectors off if I can avoid it) thought I did, off to ebay..... just going to order a bunch of different ones, slow boat from china. I ordered some switchbacks for the front turn signals, turns out they are too long to fit......off to Amazon.....maybe I'll find something to put them in. I may end up putting it all back together, sans extra lights, for my TN trip.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Hey Supra, can you post a vid of the LED headlights working with the standard headlight modulator? Getting ready to drop the hammer on the H4 units, but the whole"will they work with a standard H4 modulator?" thing is holding me back. Already got switchbacks for the front and clear lenses installed, bulbs for the rear on the way, and ordered a 10 pack of the 194 led's for the marker lights(gonna install some in the jeep also) Electronic flasher already installed. Now if I could just find a cheap used set of brackets so I could mount the lights over the mirrors....:rofl1:

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Yup, knew I'd seen it somewhere. Have the po-po given you any problems?
Now wondering if they make a modulator for LED bulbs, and if so, how much is it and how does it work? So many questions in my head......

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just got an email for SDC and they said what SS has said— they're working on it and it will 'be some time' before it happens.

But I want one! I had a Priority Lites modulator for my GL1000 and it was— ok. The halogen bulb in a Vetter Windjammer never got really bright unlike SS' LEDs!

As long as a cop is aware of the legality of headlight modulators I doubt they'd try to parse a difference between modulation and on/off.

Top Bottom