harness

Bike
st 02 & 03
Hi good folks, Having found the oil leak and waiting for parts I now seem to have another issue, could someone please tell me what this connector is for, the female part that the wire was connected too, was so brittle that it has disintegrated, it was a single wire which you can see in the pic, but someone (not me) has cut into it??

I am showing where the wire disappears to on the old girl and the location for orientation. I can't see why it would be cut into, and seems a strange place to take a live feed or a switched feed.

At this time I am just looking to clean the end and fit a spade connector, re-tape and put back on, I assume that it will all go back into the main harness??
As always thanks for your time

Attachments

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I believe you've discovered the RH side knock sensor, see item #7 here.

On my '06 I found most of the conductors in that particular wire harness, suffered from excessive heat and exposure, with the insulation brittle, cracking, and falling off.
I ended up replacing the entire sub harness, which I believe is item #9 on the above mentioned link.

OP
OP
thebigone
Bike
st 02 & 03
Thanks for that did not think of looking on hear for a wiring schematic, I have to agree with you, the single wire is black so it's the knock sensor, and the other is a grounding wire, side question what is the knock sensor..........when I drop it, it turns things off??

OP
OP
thebigone
Bike
st 02 & 03
spotty dog anna'sdad that is what it is, I note that #8 is sensor guard, no good for the heat. 42 odd pounds for the harness I leaning towards just the spade fixing

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for that did not think of looking on hear for a wiring schematic, I have to agree with you, the single wire is black so it's the knock sensor, and the other is a grounding wire, side question what is the knock sensor..........when I drop it, it turns things off??
There is a knock sensor on each cylinder head to detect pre ignition to alert the ECU to retard the spark to avoid engine damage. The sensor that shuts down the engine in a tip-over is, appropriately enough, the tip-over sensor. It cuts off the ignition and FI, just as turning the ENGINE STOP switch to STOP.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
question what is the knock sensor..........when I drop it, it turns things off??
No, that would be the Bank Angle Sensor.

The Knock Sensor is a pre-ignition sensor (here in the colonies we refer to pre-ignition as knocking, probably a reference to the sound), that allows the Engine Control Module to modify ignition timing, avoiding the excessive wear that unabated pre-ignition can cause.

I leaning towards just the spade fixing
Saving money, be it dollars or pounds, always a good idea.

Try and get back to an area of the conductor that still has good insulation integrity, you may need to cut open the sheathing surrounding the wire harness.

OP
OP
thebigone
Bike
st 02 & 03
Will do, the wire that was hanging onto the terminal was going green, which IMMR is a sign of poor conductivity I have a mind to go back as far as the joint in the pic and do a better job, then wrap the two wires up nice and tight. Have mother Honda made any changes to the route of the harness if temp is an issue having only had the 02 and now the 03 that I pick up tomorrow.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have a mind to go back as far as the joint in the pic and do a better job, then wrap the two wires up nice and tight.
Good idea! The first rule of soldering two (or more) wires is to make a good mechanical connection first then solder. The 'splice' looks to be the two ends merely overlapping. The solder appears to have held up well enough but shouldn't be trusted.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have a mind to go back as far as the joint in the pic and do a better job
I'm far from an expert but the reading I've done on this and other sites tells me that Posi-Lock quick connectors have a reputation for being versatile, easy to use, reliable once installed, and pretty resistant to (casual) weather. After installation, a layer or two of vinyl tape over the splice would probably help with further protection.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
Posi-Lock quick connectors have a reputation for being versatile, easy to use, reliable once installed, and pretty resistant to (casual) weather. After installation, a layer or two of vinyl tape over the splice would probably help with further protection.
I've never used them but have been tempted to order a few. They seem very capable if you don't want to solder and could also be a permanent solution to some emergency roadside repairs. Liquid Tape at each end might be a good idea. Or there's a different connector called Posi-Tite for water resistance.

Top Bottom