Larger Screen for 1300. Will electric motor cope?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
When I first got my ST13,, I was tweaking the windshield position constantly. But once you figure out the best positions that work for you,, I found I was adjusting a lot less frequently. But every couple of days,,, I run it all the way up and back down for cleaning. Especially in the spring,, when bugs are plentiful,, and seem eager to splatter themselves, even on the inside of the shield. I think I am putting more wear and tear on the mechanism for stationary cleaning now,, than I am from riding position adjustments. Since I have my tupperware off,,, I will do an inspection and lube this week,, Cat'

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
When I first got my ST13,, I was tweaking the windshield position constantly. But once you figure out the best positions that work for you,, I found I was adjusting a lot less frequently. But every couple of days,,, I run it all the way up and back down for cleaning. Especially in the spring,, when bugs are plentiful,, and seem eager to splatter themselves, even on the inside of the shield. I think I am putting more wear and tear on the mechanism for stationary cleaning now,, than I am from riding position adjustments. Since I have my tupperware off,,, I will do an inspection and lube this week,, Cat'
If you decide to open the cover, those BIG phillips looking screws are JIS also, you'll need a number 3 JIS driver to prevent damage, as they normally or pretty tight. .02

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would appreciate more information on "regular maintenance". I have a 2010 ST1300 and I haven't yet done any maintenance on my windshield, but lately, it's starting to chatter on its way up and down so I was hoping to lubricate it to get some more life out of it. I don't have a clue as to what I should do.
Good thread here will get you started: ST1300-Windshield-mechanism-gear-relacement

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you decide to open the cover, those BIG phillips looking screws are JIS also, you'll need a number 3 JIS driver to prevent damage, as they normally or pretty tight. .02
Funny, I just removed them on the unit I'm working on and didn't have an issue! ;)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Funny, I just removed them on the unit I'm working on and didn't have an issue! ;)
Yeah, but you work on ST's as much as I do, I put that out there to keep a new member from damaging those screws....you got lucky, go buy a lottery ticket showoff :well1:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, but you work on ST's as much as I do, I put that out there to keep a new member from damaging those screws....you got lucky, go buy a lottery ticket showoff :well1:
I've lost count how many screws on the ST1300s I've R&R'd! No luck about it, just got to be careful....although the heads do get buggered up after awhile. Someday I'll probably buy a set of the JIS drivers! :D

Also, they are my bikes, not someone else's! :D

Top Bottom