Bike
2004 ST1300

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: The ride to Totality

I've been thinking for this day for a while. My first plan is to be in western Nebraska as eclipse will be near noon there. Alliance is a nice town to visit. If there is heavy cloud cover i'll be riding east fast looking for clear skies before the time comes for the eclipse.

Second plan is stay a day after Swimstoc in Tennesee and watch from near there if I do Swimstoc.

You want to be right under for the most amount of time in total eclipse. A mile makes a big difference in total eclipse time.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #

I have been thinking about this since I read about the eclipse back in March. My daughters live in the Nashville area. I plan on making reservations with one of the girls and then plan a ride over.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #

The path crosses the Cherohala Skyway in several points., and also a stretch of NC 143 right near the NC/TN state line. I'm considering any one of several of the turnout parking spots as a possibility-- if I make the trip.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS

I'm in it too, but might go over the mountain to be exactly in line with it.:D

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

Its crossing right over the Cherohalla sky way I am going to try and make the trip to see it.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A

A group of friends and I are planning to ride about 2.5 hours north to the Sparta, TN area for viewing.

Or, seeing that my brother teaches astronomy at MTSU, maybe we'll go to Murfreesboro and see it on all the fancy equipment they'll no doubt be setting up.

Either way it will be a fun day on the bike.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Total Eclipse

I guess I've been lurking under a rock somewhere lately, since I wasn't aware of the upcoming solar eclipse (August 21) until I saw it on a weather report on this morning's news. Many of our ST-Owners.com members will be in the path of the 100% eclipse. Those of us in or near Houston will see ~80% eclipse.

Just thought I would post this for the benefit of anyone else who's been living in the dark. :cool:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Re: Total Eclipse

I plan on being at one of my daughters houses that day in Nashville. They both have large back yard , maybe they should rent out spots for camping.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #

The center of the path is just the center of the path is just a few miles north of me. 1:57 of totality at my house and 2:15 at my friend's house out in the country. May just head over there for this spectacular event!

STOC #

I don't see the attraction of an eclipse. I mean, the sun goes away every night, doesn't it? :confused:
And, you can ruin your peeps if you're not careful.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
For those planning on hitting the Cherohalla, planning to do do the 2.5mi round trip hike up Huckleberry Knob for the perfect pano view!(weather permitting of course)
Oh sure, now *everyone* will be at my secret location. :)Google Maps even has a "Best eclipse viewing location" marker in the area. Guess I may not be watching in solitude.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

One can get eclipse-safe sunglasses at Amazon cheaply.

Last total eclipse in CONUS was in 1918, and the next one is 33 years from now. No big deal.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

I don't see the attraction of an eclipse. I mean, the sun goes away every night, doesn't it? :confused:
And, you can ruin your peeps if you're not careful.
I guess that depends on where one lives, and how one defines "night". In Svalbard, Norway, the northernmost inhabited region of Europe, there is no sunset from approximately 19 April to 23 August. The North Pole has midnight sun for 6 months from late March to late September. Ever heard of the Midnight Sun? I don't know if these areas ever experience total solar eclipses or not during periods of daylight. If we have any astronomers on the forum, maybe we can find out.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300

The school system I work for decided to close school that day due to safety (students looking directly at it), and for numerous teachers/staff/subs that were planning to not work that day to go see the eclipse. Woo hoo!!!

Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #

I live in a rural area an hour outside of Bend OR, and we are right in the zone of totality. Central Oregon (which has a population of perhaps 250,000 people in the three-county area) is expected to get as many as an additional 250,000 people for the eclipse. Local first responders and emergency management organizations have been modeling based on surveys for more than two years. They are predicting travel times of 4-6 hours to go 30 miles, gas stations running out of gas (as fuel trucks either won't be able to enter the area due to traffic), food shortages (for the same reason). UPS and FedEx will not be attempting deliveries on the days before and after the eclipse (Friday, Monday, Tuesday). Access to USFS roads will be blocked in many places due to fire danger from random campers. Hotels have been cancelling reservations and rebooking for over $1000 a night. This is not going to be fun.

Top Bottom