Moto-Travel on older bike, Yes or No?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Let's say you have a bike from 70's or 80's, still in good condition. Classic/Standard, Dual Sport, Touring... Something like 1980 Honda NightHawk 750, or 1984 Honda CB350 Four... Would you dare to take it for week or two trip across the States? I believe it would have some additional dimension, some special feeling, different than with ST or other modern touring bike. Maybe like back in time?
Though, do you need some (extra) mechanical skills to take this bike on the trip? Would it be harder to fix if something breaks because it's older or quite opposite - easier because it's much simpler than today's bike? Is there more chance to break something because it's old or quite opposite - simple and hard to break?

What do you think?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If its a bike I've owned long enough to be familiar with its condition, and how to work on it, I'd ride one, because its probably easier to fix on the road than the ST. Unless you need spare parts, that could be a problem. The one downside with the old UJM style bikes without any fairing, is at 80mph cruising speeds the windblast is very annoying and fatiguing. They were great back in the 55mph era when they were built, running along at 60-65mph, but if you're trying to cover a lot of distance as fast as possible they're not your best choice.

On the plus side, there's no coolant hoses to worry about leaking, their simplicity is definitely a positive in my mind. For a week or two trip mechanical failures aren't all that likely. Back in the day when I and my friends were riding those things we were maniacs in the mountains, so we didn't break down so much as we repaired self-inflicted crash damage.

Sure. I saw a Model T club all the way from Mexico City on the road to Prudhoe Bay. Also ran across three guys on a 64 BMW, a 95 GS1100 and an 80 something Yamaha.

The 64 BMW and the Yammy made the entire round trip from MI without incident. The GS has a Hall Sensor failure and had to be flatbeded to a shop.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
They're there to be ridden, if you're confident in the machine ride it.
As long as you have good breakdown cover you'll get home regardless.
I think some of the simpler older bikes would be easier to fix than some more modern machines with ABS, CBS, TCS, CABS, ESA, DQS......you know what I mean. Can you imagine a remote non franchised dealer even wanting to touch one, and would you want them to.
Enjoy the ride.
Upt'North.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I loved my Honda 78 750K, last year of the single over head cam. A head so thick you could bore it out to 1100cc and still have the thickness of a 1100cc engine head. I put on more than half a million miles in just 6 years, all of it cross country. I got my first GL1100, a 82, in 1995. Almost had half a million before garage fire took it and my Harley.
So lets get back to the 750K maybe 10 years later, fired right up. Replace all the rubber, not much compared to bikes today, and got another 4 grand miles.
Know your bike well? Carry a set of points and a chain master. Ride hard and have fun. I wish I had not sold it.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I rode my '71 BMW ( and a '78 BMW ) all over the place, two up and solo. As long as you know how the bike has been cared for, and are confident in your skills as a roadside mechanic, I say go for it!

While older bikes ARE tougher to get serviced, if properly cared for, they can be almost as dependable as today's best bikes. For more info, see " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have friends riding old Guzzi's from the 70's. Those bikes would go 200K miles and farther before they were done. You cannot put those miles on a bike by commuting 7 miles to and from work. Didn't Ted Simon put a few miles on his Triumphs (you can always find a Triumph by following the parts that vibrated off it down the road) riding them around the world? My Dad and his brother drove from New York to San Diego in a Model A Ford.

Of course, you will have to make some adaptations. Many old bikes will not survive running at 80 to 90 mph for hours on end, and the oil changes, chain adjustments, tuning (egad - those old bikes had points!) have to be done more frequently. That said, why not ride an old bike if the pieces (esp rubber parts) are in good condition?

Newer does not necessarily mean better. Did not Consumer Reports say that late model BMW bikes are the most trouble prone? Would you ride a new Beemer across the country? (Don't bother to respond to that last sentence, I'm also a member of BMW MOA).

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've been rebuilding bikes since the early/mid 1960's. Quite familiar with their condition when I'm finished. Touring on pretty much anything manufactured prior to the Honda CB750 is a potential 'bad trip'. After that metal compatibility and vibration improved. Had two brother-in-law bikers. One rode his CB160 from central Louisiana to Key West and back with just careful attention to his oil and chain slack. The other rode his Kawasaki 350 triple from same location to Utah and back...again just watched the oil and chain slack.

After 1970, touring reliability just depends on the bike and your knowledge of its condition. I wouldn't like to take off on an old bike I wasn't confident with.

My wife and I toured on our 1978 GL1000's from 1991 until 2015 with no problems, no worries. These were bikes I rebuilt and maintained and was quite familiar with their condition, both mechanical and electrical. Sold the GL's and parts and bought a 1991 ST1100 in 2015. Went through it thoroughly, so I understand it's condition. I also keep up with Mr Honda's recommended service schedule and fix anything that doesn't look or feel just so.

Touring on old bikes? Guess the answer is, if you know or can verify its condition, go for it.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I currently have a 1976 CB750 that I have a high confidence in its reliability. But with that said I have been on it for 300 miles in a day and the creature comforts are just not there, so aches and pains are an issue. For the old hondas like this one I would say that a good look at the wiring loom is in order, making sure that all wires and connections are in good shape. Age does take its toll on wiring. On mine I did replace the entire wiring loom and redid most connectors. Mechanically the old 4 cylinder SOHC's are rock solid.

Just make sure your AAA coverage includes Motorcycles. I believe you do need the RV coverage for that.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Go for it! I've ridden my '83 Kawasaki KZ1100 all over the southeast USA in the 10 years I've owned it. In fact, I've clinched more states on the KZ than on my ST so far.

Yes the simpler older bikes are easier to work on.

Have a great trip.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My personal take Afan - I have a perfectly serviceable 81 Gold Wing Interstate (GL1100I). I bought the ST because I wanted a more reliable ride for long distance trips away from home. Some of the parts for the GL1100I can be just harder to find IF it did break down. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a little ingenuity and time, but I just didn't want to put up with the delays that could occur if some of the less common parts were involved. That being said, I have made many journeys of more than 500 mile on the GL, and never had a problem I couldn't fix and get home. But I never took it to the desert... and that is something I might do with the ST!

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The bike before my ST was a Yamaha XS7502D. Air cooled triple with shaft drive, mag wheels, triple disks and a Windjammer III fairing. Probably not your typical late seventies older bike and it was pretty comfortable on the road and reliable. Pretty easy to work on too as there was minimal plastic to strip off to get to things.

Water cooled bikes are the norm now, but you really need to change out all the hoses every 10 years or so, ensure the coolant is changed every 3 - 4 years etc...... to minimize the risk of some kind of cooling system issue popping up in the middle of nowhere. Having a leaking hose under the carbs on a Sunday out in the sticks somewhere will ruin your day. Almost all older bikes will be air cooled so you've got one less thing to go wrong on the road.

thekaz

haz gone feral
I would say yes. I have done it on an 1996 Bandit and a local guy up here keeps doing IBA rides on his prewar collection :eek:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is it comfortable? Is it reliable? If both, sure why not? Would I? NO! Nothing less than my ST1300 (set up with a RDL) for me!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I rode a BMW slash 7 for many years and think I still have the 400k mile award pin somewhere, but I would not trust ANY of the new models anymore. I had a GS80 Basic, that I wish I still had, and would trust that bike to go anywhere, anytime. The few oilheads that I owned (GS mostly) always had issues with ABS, Driveshaft, and FI. I think I would trust a new Triumph Bonneville before a new BMW YMMV.
As far as the topic at hand, I used to ride several old two strokes (suzuki T500 titan and a 750 water buffalo) and rode those things all over Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, etc. Never left me stranded on the side of the road...well beside a fouled sparkplug now and then. :rofl1:
If the tires and battery are good, and you know how to do simple service and repairs, I say ride 'em! :plus1:
The problem with dealerships working on them are twofold, they have to order/source parts, and none of the young kids working at the dealerships know how to work on bikes older than 10 years old.
Most dealerships have culled out the older more experienced mechanics in favor of young trade school graduates now to make more money.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I'd hop on any of my Kawasaki Z-1's and ride it coast to coast. And back. Bought my first one new in '74. Still have it.

Know your vintage bike well. Know the high mortality parts, and either update with modern equipment (reg/rec on the Z-1's) or be prepared with know-how and spares. As long as tires and running gear are all sound I see no reason not to tour on a vintage bike.

Don't plan on being in a hurry at stops. People who know what they're looking at will strike up a conversation; "Used to have one just like it... wish I'd never sold it..."

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
92 ST1100
Let's say you have a bike from 70's or 80's, still in good condition. Classic/Standard, Dual Sport, Touring... Something like 1980 Honda NightHawk 750, or 1984 Honda CB350 Four... Would you dare to take it for week or two trip across the States? I believe it would have some additional dimension, some special feeling, different than with ST or other modern touring bike. Maybe like back in time?
Though, do you need some (extra) mechanical skills to take this bike on the trip? Would it be harder to fix if something breaks because it's older or quite opposite - easier because it's much simpler than today's bike? Is there more chance to break something because it's old or quite opposite - simple and hard to break?

What do you think?
Actually depends on condition of and how it was taken care of. For example, I still ride my bought new Yamaha Venturer XS1100 factory full dresser, shaft-drive on LD rides. We're talkin' ridng to one coast or the other, as do many others regularly, having the same 78-81 Yamaha XS1100's.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Water cooled bikes are the norm now, but you really need to change out all the hoses every 10 years or so, ensure the coolant is changed every 3 - 4 years etc...... to minimize the risk of some kind of cooling system issue popping up in the middle of nowhere. Having a leaking hose under the carbs on a Sunday out in the sticks somewhere will ruin your day. Almost all older bikes will be air cooled so you've got one less thing to go wrong on the road.
Mine is in the shop for this right now. On my CB650SC Nighthawk I had a problem with the petcock vacuum hose leak that had me sputtering after 80 miles. Hose problems are a pain. It was my first long ride and made for some anxious moments.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I use to ride my super-K to Chicago then on to indy then to cincy and finally back home to Detroit. reliable it was and still is but the suspension Is too stiff at speeds under 85mph

Top Bottom