clutch slippage

hi everyone, ive experineced slippage during high rpm range.. first while ttrying to see if i could do a wheelie, then yesterday while my friend was on his sporty 1200.. THought about changing oil,bleeding slave cylinder.. but ultimately i think ill have to tear into and check/replace clutch ,plates, spring,and rebuild slave... It only has 50k on it ! any experience w high rpm slip and or resolutions thanks!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How many miles are on your bike? Is it an old cop bike? St1100P or ST1300P. Cops slip their clutches a lot and go through them faster.

If age isn't a factor, I would look at the oil you're using. Mobil One (and like) for autos will cause your clutch to slip.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
How many miles are on your bike? Is it an old cop bike? St1100P or ST1300P. Cops slip their clutches a lot and go through them faster.

If age isn't a factor, I would look at the oil you're using. Mobil One (and like) for autos will cause your clutch to slip.

Goo luck!
+1 on the type of oil used! The fiber clutch disc material used can cause clutch slip under heavy load applied. The clutch disc and syn. oil don't mix well together;). Oil used(dino) should have lower portion of circle on container blank, no energy conserving wording or otherwise. Personnally, I used 20-50w year-round for some 11yrs. in my ST with never an issue:).

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Might as well change the oil, if you are using non wet-clutch oil. Even if your clutch is worn, maybe wet-clutch oil might cure the problem ( for awhile ).

How much city riding on that 50K miles ?? Even with only 50K miles, if a lot of that was stop & go , you may have a worn clutch.

BTW, I read somewhere that OEM clutch springs are the best to use. And when I replace my clutch friction plates & springs at 100K , I'm planning on shimming the new springs a bit, too. Not much, but a bit.

BTW, I use full synthetic oil, without any clutch slip, but I have never tried to pull a wheelie. One time I really hit the throttle hard in first gear, and it almost slid me off the seat. If I had a ST1300 , it could have been disastrous. Another reason to keep my ST1100 until it ( or me ) dies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom