Ride YEG to LAS next week! 03/27/17

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well seeing as I have cabin fever and a tad of psychosis going on here, I have decided to layer up my riding gear and head to warmer climates. The route will start out to be Edmonton Alberta to Las Vegas the most direct way I can. This will be crossing the border at Coutts, Great Falls, Helena, following 15 to SLC. From SLC on 15 to Vegas. I have been watching the weather and looking at all the highway traffic cams I can find and so far the forecast looks good and dry roads for the route. Well all i can do is watch the weather and ride south. Leaving next Monday March 27 or Tuesday 28th. Anyone want to join in for a ride while I go past their front doorstep? I have one guy from Edmonton that should be joining on his GL. Hope the weather holds and we don't have to divert east too far. Well anyways I am looking forward to seeing some warm weather and riding! :poPoST1:

Attachments

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Enjoy your ride and be safe. If your gear is waterproof it will also hold the heat better and keep the air out. That also includes your gloves. That means fewer layers needed and less bulk.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Drive safe. Its a beautiful time of the year down here with comfy temps.. But I bet it'll be cold thru them northern states!! Brrrr.

Bike
03 st 1300
Don't go the La Grande Oregon blue mountain passes. There's about three of them. We just got back from a 4000 mile road trip to
Southern california from Spokane.. I took a nap while the wife drove and woke up to 20 mph and compact snow, and snowing like crazy. Just got dark and the big trucks were chaining up. Totally caught us off guard.

Bike
03 st 1300
I posted before looking closely at your map. Your missing Oregon altogether. But still be prepared, I wish I was going.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I really appreciate the responses on here. I will be watching the road reports and webcams as I venture south as my main concern is the higher elevations where the snow could catch us. Thanks for well wishes and routing Drrod. I will post as we head south just for the updates.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just drove that part of 15 from Idaho to southern UT yesterday. 70 degrees and girls were wearing tank tops...!!!:bow1:.
You should have no trouble...

ToddC

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just did what your doing in May 2014. I took 2 straight south of Calgary and crossed the border at the Carway crossing.
Spent the first night in Idaho Falls and then picked the wife up at the Las Vegas airport the next day. She flys and I ride. We do this often.
Here's a pic at Carway when I was at the Can/US crossing.

Attachments

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Just drove that part of 15 from Idaho to southern UT yesterday. 70 degrees and girls were wearing tank tops...!!!:bow1:.
You should have no trouble...

ToddC
Woohoo!!! Thats the report that I wanted to hear! Thanks! I will be browsing the sidewalks for the ladies...:eek:

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just did what your doing in May 2014. I took 2 straight south of Calgary and crossed the border at the Carway crossing.
Spent the first night in Idaho Falls and then picked the wife up at the Las Vegas airport the next day. She flys and I ride. We do this often.
Here's a pic at Carway when I was at the Can/US crossing.
Very nice. I am getting excited about starting the riding season early this year and putting on some real miles.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well the oil has been changed and the tire pressure check. The ride has been postponed one day due to a small glitch, well two small...one being the flurries and freezing rain just quickly passing through this area, the other a small bit of business I need to take care of before heading south. I am so excited to get out and gone. So Tuesday morning, DRIVERS START YOUR ENGINES!!!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well the oil has been changed and the tire pressure check. The ride has been postponed one day due to a small glitch, well two small...one being the flurries and freezing rain just quickly passing through this area, the other a small bit of business I need to take care of before heading south. I am so excited to get out and gone. So Tuesday morning, DRIVERS START YOUR ENGINES!!!

Have a great ride and post lots of pics....

ToddC

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Thanks All! Just checking the weather and a nice high pressure zone has formed along our route that will close up behind us. Looks like south of Helena the weather opens up to stay nice but I am concerned about the passes at Butte or the Monida pass. Those are the only 2 areas of major concern right now. Well off to bed as a longer day tomorrow.

Top Bottom