ST1300 On Modern Family last week Episode S18 Episode 17 Pig Moon Rising

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
what is that yellow thing on the windshield???

also, I see on the car they have the standard California license plate with illegal letter/number combinations (Q or O are never used as the first or last letter)

what is that yellow thing on the windshield???

also, I see on the car they have the standard California license plate with illegal letter/number combinations (Q or O are never used as the first or last letter)
l

Looks like some kind of 3 ring binder.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dwalby said:
I doubt that the lettering exclusion is a matter of statute law but probably more a matter of policy. Regardless the use of Q on that plate is because it's not a standard CA plate but a studio prop used under filming permits.

When license plates are legible in a movie or TV show on a public street and not on a private set they're usually actual plates registered to vehicles leased or owned by studios for filming or plates made by prop masters for use under filming permits. I don't doubt that now and then someone may use a prop plate without bothering the appropriate permit(s).

The CA DMV has a range of 'numbers' not publicly issued that can be used by studios. I don't know if there are actual plates or if studios are just free to use those when making props but PCE and PCI are the giveaways. I think I first noticed these on Rockford Files and CHiPs.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I've noticed phony license tags on lots of vehicles in film and television. It's the equivalent of the "555" exchange used in phone numbers: they are not connected to an individual, so nobody is subject to the inconvenience of having idiots call the number "just to see who answers". Probably the same with license plates: publish a real one and *someone* would look it up.

Back to the important matters, though: did you notice that the ST had been accessorized with the add-on wind deflectors, and that there is a helmet hanging on the end of the handlebar? Can't quiiiiite make out the style and certainly not the manufacturer, but it matches the bike. No other obvious farkles jumped out at me: no driving lights, tank knee pads, can't tell about the seat, looks like there *might* be something strapped to the pillion spot but can't really tell for sure... all in all, a nice lookin' ride.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I doubt that the lettering exclusion is a matter of statute law but probably more a matter of policy. Regardless the use of Q on that plate is because it's not a standard CA plate but a studio prop used under filming permits.

When license plates are legible in a movie or TV show on a public street and not on a private set they're usually actual plates registered to vehicles leased or owned by studios for filming or plates made by prop masters for use under filming permits. I don't doubt that now and then someone may use a prop plate without bothering the appropriate permit(s).

The CA DMV has a range of 'numbers' not publicly issued that can be used by studios. I don't know if there are actual plates or if studios are just free to use those when making props but PCE and PCI are the giveaways. I think I first noticed these on Rockford Files and CHiPs.
yeah, I used the term "illegal" for lack of a better term, but was trying to say the same thing. You're right, policy is a better term. I remember seeing PCI before, which is also unused by the DMV (Q, O, and I are never first or last, to avoid confusing them with adjacent numbers, because they could look like a 0 or 1).

Top Bottom