Pacifc NW vist

I recently joined a club so I could rent a bike in a few new places across the country.
First on my bucket list is to visit Olympic National Park. I have never ridden in the area and I want to know when the best time to visit the coast of the Pacific Northwest. My wife and I are pretty flexible we can each go anytime of the year. Now that spring has arrived I am looking for some advice.
time of year, places to stay, things to see, road suggestions?

All input is appreciated, thanks in advance

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I recently joined a club so I could rent a bike in a few new places across the country.
First on my bucket list is to visit Olympic National Park. I have never ridden in the area and I want to know when the best time to visit the coast of the Pacific Northwest. My wife and I are pretty flexible we can each go anytime of the year. Now that spring has arrived I am looking for some advice.
time of year, places to stay, things to see, road suggestions?

All input is appreciated, thanks in advance
Winter is wet and dark and wet....Spring is unpredictable..... Locals always say summer starts after the fourth of July....

I have found some of the best weather and fewer people right after Labor day, kids are in school and summer vacations have wound down...

Just my two cents.

ToddC

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
July through September is a good time period.

An excellent ride in Washington state is between Newport and Keystone along Hwy 20. If the timing is right, stop for lunch at the Twisp River Pub in Twisp. From Keystone, take the ferry to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. Continue west along Hwy 20 and Hwy 101 to Sequim and enjoy a hearty breakfast or lunch at the Oak Table Cafe. Continue to Port Angeles and find your way up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. The last time I was there a few years ago, the entrance fee was $5; The ride up and down is worth the entrance fee and the scenery is beautiful. From Port Angeles, continue west along Hwy 101 to the coast or make a loop around Lake Crescent via Hwy 113 and Hwy 112.

A visit to Mt. Rainier National Park, and Mt. St. Helens National Monument via a spirited ride up to Windy Ridge along National Forest Road 99, should be considered.

Most of my rides around the peninsula are day trips, so I don't have suggestions for places to stay.

Welcome to Washington state; enjoy your visit.

Last edited:
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Good information from Todd and Stripper. I also prefer late summer/early fall for riding. We usually have good weather through September and into early/mid October. YWMV (Your weather may vary). :-D

How much time are you allocating? Do you want to see the whole state or just concentrating on Olympic NP? Will you stopping to hike or just riding? Camping or motels?

+1 on riding Highway 112/113 off of 101. That's a fun road with lots of curves, ups and downs and nice views of the water.

Top Bottom