Site-Lock proteing ST-Owners?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
While browsing the forums today I had a new page pop-up. Is this part of the new server suite Joe?
Site-Lock must verify a human is using the web-page??

site-lock.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That is part of the new hosting. Wasn't sure how it would look.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
is the malware warning associated with this screen reliable? If we see it should we assume we have an issue that needs to be resolved as it suggests?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
is the malware warning associated with this screen reliable? If we see it should we assume we have an issue that needs to be resolved as it suggests?
Not sure if it's a real warning or a suggestion. I'll have to look into it more but still working now so just entering the 2 words gets you past the check.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I can guarantee the computer I was using was mal-ware free. Not sure how I tripped the alarm but restarting my web browser took me past the Site-Lock screen.

I was not going yo enter the two words since I had no idea where this screen was coming from.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The purpose of that is to protect the site. I don't think it can scan you computer so quickly therefore it's probably the IP address you used when accessing the site. Maybe there is a history of that IP address being associated with hacking attempts and they are simply trying to confirm that YOU are not a bot or automatic pgm trying to scan for defects to exploit but a person... so, the 2 screens for sign in is presented.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yes, probably hoing by IP. Restarting my browser would have probably rolled me to a different proxy server and presented a different IP address to the web server.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Ditto for me, both at home and at work. At work, I get the Site-Lock page when I try to access PMs, and have to type two words--then the page/click action still doesn't carry out. At home, most page refreshes result in a small IE popup saying to the effect "this site wants to run an application, allow it?" No.
:(

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ditto for me, both at home and at work. At work, I get the Site-Lock page when I try to access PMs, and have to type two words--then the page/click action still doesn't carry out. At home, most page refreshes result in a small IE popup saying to the effect "this site wants to run an application, allow it?" No.
:(
I can disable it if it's becoming a pain. We didn't have it before and never had issues.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Joe, maybe it's just the combo of work and home factors of IE for *my* computers and not for many others, but it is discouraging. Perhaps you have ability to setup some telemetry or website diagnostics data that can track how many times that Site-Lock is rejecting logged-in users from seeing pages or attachments or PMs? Or that can track how many times a user tries multiple times to see something in STO and Site-Lock restricts it (vs. the counts that Site-Lock doesn't restrict it)? I'm not sufficiently skilled in IT stuff nor what it really is solving, but it seems Site-Lock is over-zealous [from my limited viewpoint]. TIA

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, maybe it's just the combo of work and home factors of IE for *my* computers and not for many others, but it is discouraging. Perhaps you have ability to setup some telemetry or website diagnostics data that can track how many times that Site-Lock is rejecting logged-in users from seeing pages or attachments or PMs? Or that can track how many times a user tries multiple times to see something in STO and Site-Lock restricts it (vs. the counts that Site-Lock doesn't restrict it)? I'm not sufficiently skilled in IT stuff nor what it really is solving, but it seems Site-Lock is over-zealous [from my limited viewpoint]. TIA
I agree. I did disable it for now until I can do more research on the benefits. It was free with the hosting so it's not a big deal to me. I'm working on the SSL which is more important IMO and soon we'll be able to use https vs http and that is a good thing.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
slmjim said:
Just a FYI, I do most of my browsing from an iPad. The SiteLock dialog has never appeared.
I'm using Safari on a Mac and I never saw it. It could be our IPs aren't suspect.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Using FireFox, from Win10 and Win7 machines. Occasionally the default browser from my Droid phone or Samsung tablet.
Only saw it pop once so far, that was a Win10 box and Firefox, 45.8.0 ESR
Just FYI.

Joe,

I now have to sign on each time I hit the bookmark, even though I've checked the remember me box. Today I signed on and got a screen that my info wasn't recognized even-through in the upper right I was welcomed as lenparkin. I was also able to go to the forum and send this message.

Using a Mac, Yosemite 10.10.5

Len

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Edit your bookmark and make sure you have https and not http

Joe,

I now have to sign on each time I hit the bookmark, even though I've checked the remember me box. Today I signed on and got a screen that my info wasn't recognized even-through in the upper right I was welcomed as lenparkin. I was also able to go to the forum and send this message.

Using a Mac, Yosemite 10.10.5

Len

Top Bottom