Speedo stop and starts

Bike
R1200rt
Stick the old cable on to the wheel drive unit. Get the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel. Watch the speedo end of the cable. It should turn but also grab the end with your fingers and try to stop it. that will verify that the cable will spin under a load. If that is good spin the cable that goes to the speedo head. There should be some speedo movement either by hand or with a drill, I think counter clockwise looking at the bottom of the cable. Either or look for movement. The speedo head is fairly bullet proof so make sure the cable spins under a slight load.

OP
OP
punder
Bike
1993 ST 1100
Had some time this morning while my shop was warming up, took the old cable and hooked it up to a drill, Speedometer is good, and discovered my drill will do 35 MPH. So only thing left to do is tear into the front wheel and see what the issue is there. I have eliminated speedometer( I was just about to hit buy on a similar used one) , the cable, to me that only leaves the wheel. If i can convince my neighbor to sit on the passenger seat while the bike is on the center stand and let me spin the front tire I can see if that produces any movement. I want to thanks all you guys for the good advice, I would have never guessed replacing a speedometer cable would end with such a long thread, its just one cable with two ends LOL.

OP
OP
punder
Bike
1993 ST 1100
So the speedometer problem ended up being the gear box,well not the actual gears but the driver part for the speedometer cable. Its hard to explain but where the cable end meets the gear box the ends were broken off, but would still grab the cable when you pushed it in by hand( which is why I assumed it was still good) , but the cable floats or had room to move up and down slightly.Its made like a common screw driver and the best way to explain it is the screw was stripped out and left no bite for the common screwdriver. I had a local guy do this for me as I have had my hands full lately so did not get any pictures. Suggestion from the guy who installed was to remember to put a little lube in there once a year, very light oil, and very little it does not take a lot at all. If you pull the cable out at the wheel, and look in and it looks like a common screw, maybe 1//8 to 1/32 deep depression then then its broke, if it deeper then I would say that is not your problem as there is room for the cable to " float".

Top Bottom