windshield harness (are they the same)

Bike
st 02 & 03
Hi folks,
I have an 02 with electric screen....I have just got myself an 03 without, question....is the motor in place on the 03 as standard?, if it is, can I swop over the left hand control with the screen button on, onto the 03 and just plug and play

OR

Will I need to swop over the motor and stuff and obtain an edition to the excising harness in order to allow use of the left hand control.
Thanks as always.

I know I will have to at some point pull both apart and will find out but would like to know beforehand in order to get parts if needed

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
No it is not. There is a kit you can get that comes with everything you need. An 03 non ABS bike just has the manual shield.

OP
OP
thebigone
Bike
st 02 & 03
hi SteveST1300, are you saying that I would not be able to move my electric screen across from the 02....the kit you talk about would you know what is in it please and $$$$

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I think the STs in the UK came out a year earlier, and maybe have different configurations than in the US....there was a kit available here from CalSci I think that would retrofit the first year US ST non ABS....the only year (2003) that came to our shores without the electric windshield....hope this helps....ff

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Hi folks,
I have an 02 with electric screen....I have just got myself an 03 without, question....is the motor in place on the 03 as standard?, if it is, can I swop over the left hand control with the screen button on, onto the 03 and just plug and play

OR

Will I need to swop over the motor and stuff and obtain an edition to the excising harness in order to allow use of the left hand control.
Thanks as always.

I know I will have to at some point pull both apart and will find out but would like to know beforehand in order to get parts if needed
I'm not certain what you mean..."is the motor in place on the 03 as standard?" Are you trying to ask if the 2003 has a windscreen motor already installed? If so the answer, I believe, is no. Electric windscreens did not become standard on all models until the 2004 model year, even in Europe.

What I would do is check with a parts supplier to see if the windscreen motor part numbers on your 2002 are the same as that on the duluxe 2003. If they are then I would think that they are interchangeable, and you could just swap your 2002 windscreen parts into your 2003.

OP
OP
thebigone
Bike
st 02 & 03
hi, I was not aware that the pan was sold with or without the electric screens.....I live in the UK so getting the "kit" if indeed I need it could be problematic. I have not heard of a pan being called a Deluxe is that again something that was only on sale in the USA.

Just to clarify, yes to "is an electric motor fitted to the 03 as standard" the confusing part for me with regards to the 03 is that it has the slots in the front plastic along with the arms of an electric screen, but no switch gear on the left hand control. Thanks for your feed back appreciated

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
In 2002 and 2003, in Europe it was possible to buy the non-ABS non electric screen OR the ABS / Electric screen version. From looking at the different wiring diagrams, you would need to replace the entire front harness & main harness including handle bar switch units. Looks like a LOT of work... I uploaded the US wiring diagram, This may help to get an idea about the work involved. I will look for the EU wiring diagrams, and upload when I find them.

Attachments

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
I have a 2003 non abs w/o windshield imported from the US to Norway.
I bought a motor, relays and a miniswitch and used most of the workflow as the calsci describes it. Sounds a lot worse than it is....
It is possible that your 02 l/h switch may work, but the one I got hand of did not ( US model).
The connection at the end of the switch is supposed to fit with the connection coming out from the engine-block, but the one I bought was not compatible. Your might be though.

I think it was the red which is 9 pin, did of coarse not connect to the 4 pin coming from the engine block.
calsci take $20 to convert it, but the shipping might just kill you.

Stu

OP
OP
thebigone
Bike
st 02 & 03
thanks for the feed back, and there was me thinking I could just move the stuff across and have an electric screen, looking more and more like that's a no go.....so a big wide fixed screen, I'm around 6ft 3" and 18 stone in wet combats.
My 02 had all the bells and whistle's with regards to wind deflectors and I got a tall screen for "bike quip" here in the UK but they are not trading at the mo due to illness iirc.

It's a pity, I do like the ability to just push it up to my eye line and cut out 90odd% of the wind and rain. O well life goes on

Top Bottom