Honda Big Announcement end of October 2017.

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
The owner of my local dealership told me today that the new GoldWing will probably only come in two models, DCT or standard transmission, both with ABS, and no airbag option.
He is very happy with this since he won't have to stock four different models in three colors each, and Honda tells him their research shows that the DCT will outsell the standard trans by 4 to 1.
He also expects the new Wing to hit the showroom around January instead of the typical March or so for a new rollout.
He also mentioned a few new exciting models to be announced in November, and confirmed the 2012 ST1300 was the last year for that bike, except the Police models, which will continue.
Jefro.

Bike
Honda ST1300-09
The owner of my local dealership told me today that the new GoldWing will probably only come in two models, DCT or standard transmission, both with ABS, and no airbag option.
He is very happy with this since he won't have to stock four different models in three colors each, and Honda tells him their research shows that the DCT will outsell the standard trans by 4 to 1.
He also expects the new Wing to hit the showroom around January instead of the typical March or so for a new rollout.
He also mentioned a few new exciting models to be announced in November, and confirmed the 2012 ST1300 was the last year for that bike, except the Police models, which will continue.
Jefro.
I don't expect anything regarding a new st1300......no leaked photos...nothing.....But I think a good idea is a smaller 4cylinder Goldwing named Silverwing!!!!...Don't laugh...just another opinion!!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't expect anything regarding a new st1300......no leaked photos...nothing.....But I think a good idea is a smaller 4cylinder Goldwing named Silverwing!!!!...Don't laugh...just another opinion!!!!
I was looking at that too but didn't want to jinx anything by bring it up. But since the heat's now off of me...

I'd like to see something in the >700cc category with DCT. Not that I'm in the market but a shaft drive something in the 1000cc neighborhood with DCT— sounds interesting.

And speaking of the upcoming 'Wing— will it have an SMC or something New and Improved.

Bike
ST1100 1999
Once again, my two cents - test ride a VFR1200; better than an ST, and much lighter than a Wing. Lighter both on the road, and the wallet!
With a tiny fuel tank.

I'd just like to see someone make mid range bikes with shaft drive again. When I started Biking you could get a nighthawk 450 with shaft. I owned a Kawasaki GT550 for some time. Honda also made the legendary Deauville, while BMW had a range of shaft drives from 750CC upwards.
Now honda is forcing everyone back to chain drive. Remember when cars were chain driven? Would they still exist if chain had not given way to shaft? I'm sure the motorist would have soon tired of having chain lube on everything.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Except in the UK, they brought out a ST1300AE for 2014. I haven't found any difference between it and the previous 2009 model - which I know they were still building in September 2013. But it did have a different range of colours. A red variant and a blue.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
When I started Biking you could get a nighthawk 450 with shaft.
I think the 450 was a chain drive twin. The 650 Nighthawk was shaft driven 4-cyl and a beautiful little bike. It was the upgrade from a Suzi 2-spd for a former girlfriend. I could have got the bike when she decided pillion was more fun than riding her own bike.

Hydraulic valves GPI great looks... That was a winner. Every once in a while I see one on the road sadly pretty thrashed though.

But yeah a mid-size shaft drive maybe with DCT and in a retro style...

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
I forgot to mention that the Dealership owner also said the Wing motor will remain a flat six with the same CCs, but heavily updated.
Jefro.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I forgot to mention that the Dealership owner also said the Wing motor will remain a flat six with the same CCs, but heavily updated.
Hm. That'll be interesting to see. More HP and/or torque? I've never ridden one bigger than my GL1000 but the 1800s seem pretty capable as is. My Wing buddy rides his 2005 like my ST buddy rides his 2004— very very briskly.

Updated with DCT! Lightened?There was that mention. Warp Drive? I'm not a 'Wing Gui but I'm really interested in what's about to be revealed!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
And speaking of the upcoming 'Wing— will it have an SMC or something New and Improved.
My money is on this and other new bikes having the electronically-controlled combined ABS system. That puts what the linked braking function into software rather than plumbing.

I'll wait here for the posts about what a terrible thing that is. :bigpop:

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Interestingly enough, can't get to the ST1300 page on the Honda site today... usually, when they delete something, they delete it all... but it's still showing on the parent pages... maybe an oversight, maybe someone forgot to delete all or maybe someone is working on a new page... time for some cugheee talk..

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That reminded me of the GL500 and GL650 of the early '80s. The original Silverwing! Those were my first exposure of the V-twin engines with cylinders out the sides (longitudinally mounted like a Moto Guzzi).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd like to think it'll be a new page for the ST but we know there's a new 'Wing coming and it's page is still intact. So maybe it's Honda finally saying good-bye. Here's were I'm happy to be wrong.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll wait here for the posts about what a terrible thing that is.
We could start a pool on when someone will first say it could be hacked and riders thrown from their bikes to a fiery death by evil doers!

Dammit!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd like to think it'll be a new page for the ST but we know there's a new 'Wing coming and it's page is still intact. So maybe it's Honda finally saying good-bye. Here's were I'm happy to be wrong.
Nah, the ST page is back... just a teaser .lol

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You're right. I tried it twice and got the error page. Dumped the browser cache and it's back.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My money is on this and other new bikes having the electronically-controlled combined ABS system. That puts what the linked braking function into software rather than plumbing.

I'll wait here for the posts about what a terrible thing that is. :bigpop:

--Mark
My Yamaha Super Tenere has electronically linked braking. This method has advantages as it can be adjusted by programming at the factory for different application. For example, on the Super - T, if you use only the rear brake, there is no front brake application. The front brake, used alone, always applies rear braking though. And if using both brakes, some rear brake pressure is applied to the front. At least as far as I can make out from the manual. One thing I noticed with the Super - T is that you can really feel the ABS pulsing, much like the early ABS I systems on the ST1100. The ST1300 ABS II is very smooth comparatively.

Interestingly enough, can't get to the ST1300 page on the Honda site today... usually, when they delete something, they delete it all... but it's still showing on the parent pages... maybe an oversight, maybe someone forgot to delete all or maybe someone is working on a new page... time for some cugheee talk..
I was about to offer that perhaps Honda had finally sold out all the warehouse stock of left over '12 ST1300s. I think this has to happen before a new one would be offered.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was about to offer that perhaps Honda had finally sold out all the warehouse stock of left over '12 ST1300s. I think this has to happen before a new one would be offered.
Not sure, that's not the way I recall it when ST1100 to ST1300 transition took place.. you could still get ST1100s but my memory fails me .. and business has changed since then so who knows... we won't know anything until Honda TELLS us or they LEAK info.. lol

Bike
VStrom 650
Bosch has been supplying the 'Enhanced ABS' for some time, this will automatically direct braking forces to whichever wheel/tyre can handle more braking; this eCBS, electronic Combined Braking System can also incorporate cornering ABS functionality.
It is fact that Honda with regards the GW and ST has got very left behind compared to more modern designed bikes but and it's a big but...... who's going to put these things right when they go wrong, and will they be going when they are 20/30 years old?
At times, I'm glad I'm a dinosaur!
Upt'North.

Top Bottom