ST1300 headlight wiring diagram

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I remember seeing the subject wiring diagram on this site at one time, but now that I could really use it for troubleshooting a problem, I can't find it. The only things I can find in the SM are the locations of the headlight relays and fuses, and the overall wiring diagram which is difficult for an old guy's eyes to follow.

That headlight wiring diagram could be beneficial right about now. Does anyone have any clues?

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This wiring diagram helped me tremendously in resolving my strange headlight problem this morning, thanks to Mark and MileHigh.
The problem was my high beams (and high beam indicator in the instrument cluster) were on any time the ignition switch was turned on, regardless of the position of the dimmer switch. No low beam at all. What added to the troubleshooting was the fact that the RH headlamp assembly was not working at all. I assumed that I had two problems occur at the same time, one of them being the RH high beam had gone south. I set about concentrating on the the high beams being always on and ignored the failed RH high beam temporarily. By comparing the failure I had with the wiring diagram, I came to the conclusion that the problem was in the dimmer switch, but I wanted to confirm that by checking the HI relay and the fuses first. All the fuses were eliminated as the cause of the problem without even looking at them, since the position lights, starter and highe beams all worked. As it turned out, I made a mistake by removing the HI relay to check for voltages at the relay socket when I already knew what to expect and it was a really royal PIA to get the relay plugged back in. I guess I can attribute that to the size of my hands and lack of manual dexterity, but after an hour or so of trying everything I could think of and holding my mouth just right I managed to get it plugged back in. By that time I had verified that the problem was in the dimmer switch, but didn't really want to attempt to take the LH switch housing apart today so in desperation decided to try some contact cleaner directed at the switch. There isn't enough clearance around the switch to shoot cleaner into it, but since the turn signal switch is directly below it I decided to try poking the straw from the spray can as far as it would reach next to the turn signal switch. I thoroughly doused the switch assembly, then tried it again, to no avail. I then decided to tackle the fix another day, and replaced the side cover and LH saddlebag then went into the house to do something else. I couldn't resist the temptation and gave in to my anxiety 15 or 20 minutes later and went back to the garage to try it again. Bingo!! I switched to low beam first and turned on the ignition and the low beams came on, no more high beam indicator. When I switched the dimmer switch to high, BOTH lamps switched to high beams. Don't ask me why, but I swear I saw it with my own eyes! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
That's funny. I have never noticed that behavior, but I don't use the high beams very often and usually park the bike with the switch set for low beams.

Top Bottom