LIN 3 Wiring

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am trying to wire a LIN 3 as a brake light which wire do I connect to on the bike? I know that on the light the black wire is ground the whit and violet is for setting the flash sequence and the grey won't be used its to synch the colored wire goes to 12v+. I tried the green and yellow wire as 12v + and the solid green as ground but got no light. What am I missing?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
[-]Brown - ground
green/yellow - brake
green - running

I think.. searching.[/-]

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just looked at the wiring diagram and the brake lamps are the green wire with the yellow tracer. The ground is the solid green wire.
I have no experience with the LIN 3 but I have been caught out by other LED lights before. They would not work on battery voltage alone. They did work with the engine running- they needed that little extra voltage to get over the threshold. Easy to try before you go digging.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A LIN 3 will work off at-rest voltage. I use a half dead ST1300 battery I keep for no good reason to set up the flash sequence when I install one. Check the wiring:

https://www.whelen.com/install/138/13838.pdf

Last edited:

The Cheese

By "Color" in the PDF Dave linked it means the color of the lighthead. So in this case, red. I assume you have an older version since you didn't mention a red wire. Whelen has only recently started using different color 12v+ for different color lights. Try black for ground and just one by one for 12v+. Can't be many combos. Maybe its dead. I assume it used because you don't have directions.

OP
OP
SteveST1300

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
It worked when I tried it on the battery + and - but when I connected it to the brake circuit it didn't work I had the red wire going to the green with yellow stripe and the black wire to the solid green the grey is not used and the white with the purple stripe is the one used to program it but I got nothing. I see in Anna's dads drawing there is a switch I didn't try that what is the switch for?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I see in Anna's dads drawing there is a switch I didn't try that what is the switch for?
I installed the switch to allow an easy method to change the flash mode.

While I usually have the flash mode set to 'most annoying rate', back when NJ had an annual vehicle inspection, I would I step through the flash modes (many), and set the flash mode to 'steady on'.
Also occasionally after driving in heavy rain storms, the flash mode would change, perhaps due to rain getting into the switch, and I would need to reset the flash mode back to 'most annoying rate'.

Top Bottom