Suspension Update Completed - Hyper Pro Front & Rear

Byron

STOC #
Well I finally installed the rear shock this last Saturday. I installed the front spring and damper a few weeks back. To this point I have made no adjustments. Here are some of my first impressions:

The overall ride seems smoother, less harsh.​

Handling is good even with the topbox in place. I had the topbox mounted with the factory rear shock and the bike felt different, I knew it was there. With the Hyper Pro shock installed it's literally like the box wasn't even there. At least with speeds under triple digits.​

The bike is smooth through the turns. You can feel irregularities in the road but the suspension soaks up any harshness and keeps the tires planted at the same time.​

This is from three days of riding. Saturday it was a 170 mile test loop from freeway to mountain twisties back to freeway through mountain twisties and back to freeways with a few surface streets. Sunday I took it out again for a shorter ride but tested the higher MPH handling, straight line primarily. Today it was the normal commute to work. Were in the past with the factory springs and shock rolling over lane marks was sharp and pronounced, with the Hyper Pro parts it was a softer, smoother feeling.

Did I mention that this setup is SMOOTH!

The attached images show the difference between the factory Showa and the Hyper Pro parts.

Attachments

STOC #
So you don't find these springs too soft?

On the fence about what springs to install since I have to tear the forks apart because of the accident.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well I didn't include them originally because I still don't have the necessary mounting brackets. Seems they shipped the shock from Holland with only one of the brackets. Then when I brought it to their attention they shipped me 2 more brackets. It wasn't until I was ready to mount things, with the stock shock already removed, that I discovered they were the wrong size for my application and that included the original one as well.

I'm now waiting on the arrival of the right brackets. I've got things held in place right now with zip ties.

Here is a picture of Hogslyr (Ron's) Wilbers install, what it should look like, and my current arrangement.

Attachments

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Bill,

So far I have not found the springs to be to soft. Part of the softness is because you use a lower fluid level which produces a large air pocket. As I noted in my front spring install post, or at least I should have, there was less sag with the Hyper Pro front springs installed. Also, with 7.5 wt oil the rebound is quicker which I believe helps keep the front tire in contact with the road.

Something else which probably contributes is the fact the suspension parts were ordered with a rider weight of 100 kg or 220 lbs. I only weight 175 lbs in street cloths. Honda's weight calculations for the bike are based on 150 lb rider.

I noticed it again tonight while riding home after work. When you are riding over a line of lane markers, you can feel the bump through the bike but it doesn't feel like you are on a wash board. For me the factory springs and rear shock were like riding over a wash board with sharp noticeable bumps at every marker. With the Hyper Pro setup the bike seems to stay level and smooth just soaking up the bumps while continuing down the road.

What did I install on the bike? What did it cost? I'll see if I can lay it out from memory and the web since I can't locate my invoice at the moment.

Starting at the front of the bike is Hyper Pro's springs SP-HO13-SSA003 $159.95. It included the 7.5 wt oil and are direct replacement springs and retain the factory spacer.

I also installed the Hyper Pro active RCS steering damper SDK-HO-131BA $449.95. It is a simple bolt-on using 2 bolts at the air intake above the radiator and clamping to the right fork top tube.

At the rear I installed their GP Rear Shock which is a TYPE 41/ Remote Reservoir HO13-102R $749.95. I added the adjustable length and remote hydrolic preload as well which added another $300. Did I need the adjustable length, probably not but I figured if I was going this far why not go all the way. If I was going to order this shock again I would probably forgo the adjustable lenght and get the Gold Nitrit Rod instead. I can't remember why I didn't get that option as well.

I got a slight break so it cost me $1,560 delivered.

I think that with the setup dialed in for a 220 lb rider (which includes gear weight) that it maybe a little stiffer than I might have needed but chose to error on this side instead of ordering to light.

Here are a couple of shots of the factory shock. Is it me or does it look like it is shot? O.D. indicated mileage at time of removal was 29,773 or 30,939 corrected because of Speedo Healer that is installed on the bike.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Well I just got the call a few minutes ago and they finally got the second bracket from the Netherlands. I should have them before next weekend so the zip ties will be leaving. :D

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Is it just me or do companies no longer care about what customers think of them? The second set of mounting brackets arrived today. I went straight home after work, yes it can be done if there is a reason, to put them on. Here is what I ended up with (see attachments).

I've posted additional photos in my gallery.

Guess who gets a call tomorrow? :mad:

Attachments

Last edited:

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, black zip ties are available. :) Might match your '06 a little better. :rolleyes:

I just find it amazing that they can't get a proper bracket for their own darn equipment to you in any sort of reasonable time, if they ever will.

I think you've succeeded in un-selling me un Hyper Poor. Sorry it had to be you. And I do hope they set you right some day.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
FINALLY! I received the last bracket today. When I took it out of the box I could tell that this time it was going to work. Here are a couple shots and more in my gallery.

If you sort them by file name first they will be in the order I took them. Also, there are higher resolution images in the gallery if you want a closer or more detailed look.

Sometimes you just have to wait for things to work themselves out.

Right now I'm running with about 2 3/4 turns on the hydrolic preload which seems to be a nice overall setting for cruising the freeway or running the twisties. :D

Attachments

Top Bottom