Article [13] ST1300 - RECALL: Brake Proportioning Control Valve (Bike Years: 2003-2004)

STOC #
January 14, 2005

"American Honda is conducting a SAFETY RECALL on affected models per the VIN ranges listed on attached table. The recall will inspect the Proportioning Control Valve (PCV) on vehicles equipped with linked or anti-lock brakes. In limited circumstances, the existing proportioning valve could develop a leak. Over time, the leak could result in a total loss of fluid from the rear brake system. If the motorcycle continues to be used after a leak occurs the rear brake would eventually become inoperative. In worst case, the loss of rear brake force may cause a crash."

"The instructions and procedures necessary to repair the affected motorcycles will be available the week of January 24th... Parts required to perform these repairs if a leak is found will be available later that same week."

"American Honda will mail a notice of this Recall to owners of all affected motorcycles."

This affects certain VINs of 2002-2004 GL1800/A's, 2002-2003 CBR1100XX, 2002-2004 VFR800/A's, and 2003-2004 ST1300/A's. The affected VIN's for ST are:
2003 ST1300 - JH2SC511*3M100002 ~ 101443
2003 ST1300A- JH2SC514*3M100002 ~ 100798
2004 ST1300 - JH2SC510*4M200001 ~ 201352
2004 ST1300A - JH2SC513*4M200001 ~ 200808

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Blew out the valve on my '03 ABS about a year and a half ago. Not one of the more pleasant experiences, but at least I wasn't too far away from the dealership when it happened.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Ta-DA!!

Thanks for your poST Goerge.

I got back down on my knees and with flashlight in hand really looked and looked..AHHA! Looking through the grill and/or the hole adjacent to the grills and using a long blunt hemoSTat to push the wire boot up and out of the line of sight, I can see the bottom of the valve!
Mine is dry.
I will show my shop the short cut and see if that will suffice for an inspection and save lots of us lots of heartburn.

I wish I had a camera..sorry.

Saving for one right now.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
tccox said:
But if rear brake fluid level never drops , is there any need to actually inspec the valve itself ???
IMO, if the valve body is even damp it would indicate a pending problem even if the fluid level remains full.
You know Mama will have to see it to CTA on the recall IF it is actually issued. Again IMO.

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Just checked with my Honda dealer (Norris motorsport) in
reference to the ground block recall, they have the notice about
that one, waiting for parts.. I made mention about the
brake prop. valve.. He said that they had just heard from
Honda on that one, that the official notification is in the
pipes and they should be "officially" notified shortly..

Putt....

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
OK since I've got the ST skinned I took some pics. I'm guessing one of these has the valve that we are talking about. Not sure which one it is though.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Just a reminder, on the brake proportioning valve going out.

When mine went out I just noticed that the rear reservoir was getting lower than normal. I could not find a leak anywhere. No dripping on the ground or on the bike, until I took off the right side plastics. l noticed a little wet around the bottom of the proportioning valve. The reason you do not see fluid on the ground is that every time you hit the brake it would let loose one drip that would drop right on the headers and evaporate. You will not notice much difference in the bikes handling until your brake fluid runs out. So if you have a 03 to 04 check this, even if they did the recall where measurements were checked and your existing valve was deemed ok. Mine had this also.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I have a 2004A that falls within the listed affected bike numbers, is there a way to verify whether this has or has not been complied with?

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have a 2004A that falls within the listed affected bike numbers, is there a way to verify whether this has or has not been complied with?
There is supposed to be a punch mark on the frame id tag, see wiki post in this thread. The Dealer should be able to link with Mother honda to see if this was done. On mine there was no punch mark, but Honda corporate had notice that the dealer had done this recall which amounted to a specification check (not pvc replacement). But when they traced it back to the dealer for the actual record required no record could been found. Still the recall was for a leaky pvc valve, if it leaks and your bike is in that period and they have not replaced the valve before it is in the recall.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Here's a visual answer to the question. There should be a punch mark just to the left of the J on the right side of the steering column where the S/N is located. Mine looks like this. It appears it has no mark; the points seen in the picture look like 'bumps' in the casting, not indents from a punch. Guess I'll be checking my rear fluid level a bit more diligently than in the past.

Not sure how enforceable it would be, but the recall paperwork (found it in with the Owner's Manual...I don't pull it out much, obviously!) the PCV and related parts must have been replaced before 3 Feb 2005 to be reimbursable.

As an aside, the paperwork for the wiring harness ground distribution connector recall says it has to have been done prior to 20 Dec 2004. So I may be SOL on both areas, push come to shove.

Attachments

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Igofar has a excellent system for getting to the valve without removing the plastic. Raise the tank, remove the fastners across the top of the right side and loosen the lower ones. He pulled the fairing away from the bike and inserted a piece of hard cell foam to allow access from the top. With that you are able to get a wrentch on the bleeder and the hose for the bleeder through the opening after removing the louvers. This works like a charm on my 2007 and saves many hours of time.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Not sure how enforceable it would be, but the recall paperwork (found it in with the Owner's Manual...I don't pull it out much, obviously!) the PCV and related parts must have been replaced before 3 Feb 2005 to be reimbursable.

As an aside, the paperwork for the wiring harness ground distribution connector recall says it has to have been done prior to 20 Dec 2004. So I may be SOL on both areas, push come to shove.
1. I believe these are both national safety recalls that are Federally mandated. They cannot refuse to do the recall (I do not think time is of issue here). They were required to contact the listed owner of the bike. If you bought it used all you have to do is call Honda and have your name listed.
2. If you bought the bike after the recall started they had to do this before the bike could be sold! Big trouble if they did not.

Just go to your local dealer or call the number on the recall with you serial number and they will tell you what has been done. You may find out it has been done but not marked on the bike.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I bought my 2003 ST1300 in September '11 and the dealer ordered parts and scheduled the work before I rode out the door. PCV check and new wiring harness were done free of charge on an 8 year old bike.

Top Bottom