Saddlebag Scuff Pads

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I ordered these as an experiment, and I'm glad I did. I was hoping they were pliable enough to be placed where they're actually needed--which is on the top of the bag (always the right one), where my boot accidentally crashes across the top of the bag while mounting the bike.

The pre-curve of the pads fit exactly where I wanted them, and I don't think they look too bad--at least on my black bike. I lined up the back edge of the pad with the seam on the top inside of the bag.

Tell me what you think. Oh, and if this has been done 800 times before, I apologize--I'm new here.

Attachments

STOC #
I agree. They look like they belong on there. I'd like to do that with my 1100 if it's possible. I'll be watching for where you got them too.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
The saddlebag scuff pads look like great. After one year on my 06 ST, I had scraches on my saddle bags so bad that I bought paint and clear coat to have the panels on the bags repainted. When I took the bags to the painter he was able to rub out the scraches for no cost. I still have the unused paint ($100). Wanting to keep it from happening again I took the bags to a aftermarket auto shop that applies 3M film. I wanted to cover the entire top side and wrap over the top radius to the side panel. He could not get the film to make the film to fit the top radius and make the angle on the top of the saddle bag. He did give me film and verbal instructions on how to apply the film myself. I did not try to cover the top radius but cut the film 3" wide. The 3M film looks good and is protecting the bags from further scraches for now. My boot hits the bag in a location to the rear of where you have installed the scuff pads. Would the scuff pads you have installed fit the saddle bag if they were located just forward of the handle? Ron:06biker:

OP
OP
thumperjdm

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
My boot hits the bag in a location to the rear of where you have installed the scuff pads. Would the scuff pads you have installed fit the saddle bag if they were located just forward of the handle? Ron:06biker:
Maybe. They are somewhat pre-curved, and they laid nicely where I have them (and at 5'9", that's where my size 10 Sidi's always catch the bag while mounting). Maybe if they were gently heated they might flatten enough to go further back on the bag.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
I've never had a problem with damage on the lower part of the bags where these pads are supposed to fit but I am getting stone chips on the front of the painted part of the covers. Honda should have come up with something for that area instead (as well!):(

Tony

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I went to the Hondaline site to check out these pads and in the description it says: "Not needed on 05 models." What does this mean? I have an '05 ST, I think the saddlebags are the same as other year models.

Bike
'05 ST1300
OK, now I get it, I thought it was just me. I bought a set of these for my 05 and put them in the intended area...on the bottom. And I always look at them and ask myself, "why". Esp since I always scuff the top of the box, us the right side! Maybe I need to get another set and put them on top. Wonder if it would look funny with 2 sets, one on top and one on bottom. Guess I wasted 50 bucks!

Top Bottom